Minutes 14th December 2016

 Minutes of the Meeting of the Council

Date: Wednesday 14th December 2016 Time: 7.30pm
Place: Main Hall, Bramley Village Hall
Present: Cllr Durrant (Chair) Cllr Bell (Vice Chair)
Cllr Marshall Cllr Ansell
Cllr Flooks Cllr Tomblin
In Attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 2 member of the public
Apologies: Cllr Capel Cllr DiMascio
  Cllr Lane Cllr Robinson (Borough)
  Cllr Rowland (Borough) Cllr Keith Chapman (County)
  PCSO Johnson



1 Apologies for Absence

As listed above.

2 Declarations of Interest


3 Minutes of the Last Parish Council Meeting


The minutes of the meeting held on 16th November 2016 were unanimously agreed to be a true and accurate record.  The minutes were signed by the Chairman.




Matters arising




4 Open Forum

The Chairman invited questions and comments from those present.



5 Planning & Development


New Applications

T/00449/16/TPO – 7 Ringshall Gardens Bramley

T1 Oak – reduce width of crown and reduce height leaving an approx finished height of 16-18m with a crown spread (radius) of approx 4-5.5m

No objections unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.

16/04393/HSE & 16/04394/LBC – Barefoot House Olivers Lane Bramley

Conversion of garage to living accommodation with construction of dormer to west elevation, re-siting of secondary entrance and replacement windows and french doors

No objections unanimously agreed.   Clerk to process.

T/00507/16/TPO – Land To The Front Of 12 Taylor Drive Bramley

T1 chestnut – fell

It was noted that a lot of chestnuts have been felled recently due to disease.  However, this particular tree does not appear to be.  Objections unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.

16/04106/FUL – Land At Boars Bridge Bramley Road Little London

Erection of dwelling and garage and associated parking and amenity area. Change of use of equestrian land to residential

New building to be raised 300ml because of flood plain; however this was felt not to be enough.  Councillors also queried whether a new property was actually needed at this location.  Objections unanimously agreed.   Clerk to process.






















Approvals/Refusals – these were noted.  See appendix A.  The Clerk noted that the appeal for Cufaude Manor has not yet been decided.



Minchens Lane & Razors Farm reserved matters – update – The PC’s objections to both applications has been registered.

  • Minchens Lane – Cllr Durrant has been liaising with BDBC planning and with Cllrs Rowland and Robinson.  He and Cllr Tomblin have also met with developers.  Cllr Tomblin summarised the meeting; the developer noted various comments from BDBC, but their representative was not aware of the previous agreement that the PC had with previous Persimmon representatives.  Cllr Durrant confirmed that BDBC have acknowledged that they have a copy of the agreement; however, they do not believe it to be a legally binding agreement.  This is being investigated.  Cllr Tomblin observed that the suggestion for the roof tiles had come from the BDBC urban design representative, contrary to the village setting.  Houses are being re-designed to be only 2.5 storeys, and there will slightly fewer of these than originally planned.  Persimmon has agreed to a further meeting on site.  Concerns have also been raised about site management and access for site traffic.
  • Razors Farm – no further information to date.  Cllr Tomblin understands that Borough Councillors are requesting a meeting with BDBC planning representatives.  Cllr Durrant to speak with Sue Tarvit to arrange a meeting about both matters.

















Cllr Durrant/ Clerk


Update on Beech Farm development – the Parish Council’s objections to both applications have been submitted.  They will be called in for discussion by the BDBC Development Control Committee.   The Clerk noted that the Parish Council have requested a slot for speaking at this meeting.  The next DC meeting is on 11th January 2017.


6 Parish Environment


Speeding Traffic – complaints continue to be received from residents about speeding traffic in the parish.  A resident has expressed interest in heading a Community Speedwatch (CSW) team, and has made enquiries via social media for interested parties.

Chris Holland gave a brief summary of previous efforts with CSW in Bramley, which was ultimately unsuccessful.

The Clerk has enquired via HALC what other parishes in Hampshire are doing – responses are beginning to come in.  This will be collated into a report once all responses have been received.

Cllr Tomblin has followed up leads on SLR signs – he has only found one that will do the number plate recognition.

Cllr Durrant noted the disrepair of the various pinch points in the village, which in some places is dangerous.  The Clerk requested photos of the pinch points in question – once she has these she will contact HCC Highways.

Speeding to be on the agenda for the January meeting.












Cllr Flooks/ Clerk


7 Clerk’s report and administration


  • The Clerk has received notice that the Clift Meadow Trust are planning to make wifi available for the Pavilion.  To do this, BT Openreach need to install two telephone poles within the Clift Meadow area, and need to obtain the landowner’s (the Parish Council’s) permission to do so.   Plans and maps have been circulated to all councillors.  Councillors noted that wifi should also be considered for Brocas Hall.  Councillors agreed in principle to the placement of the posts – this will be added to the agenda in January for formal ratification.
  • The Clerk has received a summary of all outstanding s.106 monies due to the Bramley Area.  Some of this is already allocated; however, there may be some room for negotiation.  The Clerk and Chair plan to meet with officers at BDBC in the New Year.
  • The Clerk noted a recent communication from Network Rail to households near the railway line, which outlined plans for all trains to sound their horns as they approach the level crossing.  There was initially a great deal of concern expressed about this measure.  However, on investigation, it is clear that the letter was a general letter sent out nationally, and that trains will not be sounding their horns regularly going through Bramley as the level crossing here has full barriers and lights.  An item has been placed on the PC website.
  • The Clerk noted Cllr Ansell’s briefing note on a possible IT strategy for the Parish Council.  This will need to be formally agreed at a future meeting.  A meeting is planned in the near future with the PC webmaster, Chris Wright.  Cllr Ansell and Cllr Durrant to attend.  Clerk to organise.























8 Reports


Reports from Parish Council representatives


Allotments & Burial Ground Update – see appendix B.

  • Burial Ground – Work on the headstones at the Burial Ground is continuing, and expected to be complete before Christmas.  It was noted that families should be reminded that maintenance of headstones is their responsibilities.  Notice for the noticeboard to be drafted.
  • Allotments – further quotes have been sought for the ditching work. A second quote has been received for £2200.  Cllr Durrant proposed that the Bulpitts quote be accepted – unanimously agreed.  Clerk to take forward.









         i.            Sherfield on Loddon allotments project – following on from discussions at the November PC meeting, it was proposed that Bramley PC agree to s.106 funding for allotments in Bramley and Sherfield being used for a project to place waist height plots in Sherfield for the use of disabled/elderly plot holders.  The motion was unanimously agreed.



Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Bell gave a verbal report.

After BDBC informing the PC that the referendum would be on the 26th January, they have now stated that it will be on Thursday 9th February.  The change in date is due to a miscalculation by BDBC on the dates.  Therefore, the deadline for submitting the fully amended NDP is now 19th December.  Amendments have been submitted, and further amendments requested by BDBC; however, the plan is on target to be ready and submitted by the deadline.  Voting cards will be issued on 23rd January.

BDBC will put out two notices – one about the referendum itself, and one about the NDP.

Leaflet drop planned for January to all households.

Notice to go on website, social media, etc.

Communication sessions to be planned.  These will be on Monday 6th February in the evening, and Saturday 4th February during the day.  Clerk to book venues.















Village Hall Trust – no report.



Clift Meadow Trust – see appendix B.

Re-decoration of the Pavilion is now complete.

Wifi to be installed at the Pavilion – Councillors recommended that this be extended to include Brocas Hall as well.

An outline strategy for the Trust has been received by the Clerk and the Chairman – this needs to be looked at in detail.  It is clear that Clift Meadow will need substantial investment in the next few years to put it on a solid footing for the future.  Cllr Durrant proposed that the Parish Council work with CMT and other organisations on the strategy and funding.   This was unanimously agreed.  Clerk to place on the agenda for January.

Cllr Durrant proposed that additional drain work funding of up to £5000 be granted to CMT by the Parish Council.  Cllr Marshall seconded the proposal, unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.














Education & Schools – no update due to absence of Cllr Capel.  However, she will have a full update for the January meeting.


Cllr Capel


Policing & Neighbourhood Watch – see appendix B.

Clerk still to set up a quarterly meeting with PCSO Johnson and PC.




Highways & Road Closures – see appendix B.

i.            Remedial work on the Campbell Road roundabout appears to be complete.  However, where the bund was supposed to be lowered coming out of Campbell Road, the spoil from lowering it has been placed slightly further along the verge in a large mound, thus obscuring any visibility completely and making the junction more dangerous rather than less so.  This has been raised with the HCC project manager as a matter of urgency.  She is making enquiries with the engineer for the project.  An update is expected imminently.  POST MEETING NOTE – Highways have confirmed that they will address the mound, and it is being removed in the week beginning 19th December.  The issue is being monitored closely by the PC, who will liaise with Highways on any further issue.













Road Safety project – see appendix B.  Cllr Ansell gave an update on the flash report from HCC.



Borough Councillor Report

Cllr Rowland has sent a brief written report:

  • BDBC Planning Officer Sue Tarvit – confirmed that the agreement documentation that she had on file was only the one with Nick Scregg’s comment on – so therefore this would not be enforceable as a “Legal Agreement”.   I have seen The Chairman has responded.



County Councillor Report – no report.


Chairmans Report – no report.



Commemorative Plaque – the plaque has been ordered, with delivery expected in approximately 4 weeks.  Two names will be listed initially, with space left to add names as necessary.


9 Consultation Documents requiring consideration



10 Grant Applications


Update on Youth Club grant – a formal grant request has been received, so the Youth Club will be going ahead with equipment expenditure.  Cllr Durrant proposed that the grant limit be increased to £1500 – this was seconded by Cllr Ansell, and unanimously agreed.  Chris Holland to go back to the Youth Club and obtain a full list and pricing.

Chris Holland from the Bramley Youth Club was present, and formally thanked the Parish Council for their ongoing support of the Club.  He noted the particular success of the Youth Club in 2016 with the younger age group, due in no small part to regular club leaders Lee Goreham and Roxy Mills.  Plans for 2017 include expanding the club for the 16+ age group.  A second evening is planned for 2018.  Some equipment needs to be replaced – a list has been supplied to the PC for information.  A number of suggestions have been made by the Youth Club members.  The AGM is on 15th December.   AGM report to go on PC website.













11 Finance


Payments and Reconciliation Approval – see appendix C.

The clerk outlined the payments and reconciliation for November.  She noted the following:

  • Payment is due for Parish Magazine pages from June to October.  The delay in invoicing is due to a change in Treasurer at the PCC.
  • Solicitors fees are due for legal work on the Bullsdown Footpath.  As the legal agreement is now in place, further fees are not expected.
  • The bill for re-decoration at Clift Meadow Pavilion is now due.
  • All other payments are as expected.

It was unanimously agreed to approve the payments for December – Clerk to process.

The Clerk noted that arrangements are now in place for online banking, and therefore most payments for December will be made by BACS.  Two councillors will need to go online to authorise payments once they are set up.













Acknowledgement of Receipts – see Appendix C.

Receipts were noted.


2017/18 Budget – the Clerk has circulated the 2017/18 budget.  She noted that as it stands, there is still a large reserve figure that needs to be addressed.  She also noted the likely loss of the Limited General Grant and Council Tax Support grant from BDBC.  Project ideas were requested.  Budget to be finalised at the January meeting.





12 Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 18th January 2017.


The meeting finished at 9.21pm






Signed:                 ………………………………………………………………….      Date:………………………………………


Appendix A – Planning Summary


Planning Applications for Consideration

1 T/00449/16/TPO – 7 Ringshall Gardens Bramley

T1 Oak – reduce width of crown and reduce height leaving an approx finished height of 16-18m with a crown spread (radius) of approx 4-5.5m

2. 16/04393/HSE & 16/04394/LBC – Barefoot House Olivers Lane Bramley

Conversion of garage to living accommodation with construction of dormer to west elevation, re-siting of secondary entrance and replacement windows and french doors

3. T/00507/16/TPO – Land To The Front Of 12 Taylor Drive Bramley

T1 chestnut – fell

4. 16/04106/FUL – Land At Boars Bridge Bramley Road Little London

Erection of dwelling and garage and associated parking and amenity area. Change of use of equestrian land to residential



1. 16/03525/HSE – Ringshall The Street Bramley

Erection of two storey side and front extension, with single storey front, side and rear extensions, following demolition of existing conservatories




2. 16/03826/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a single storey rear extension and conversion of garage to living accommodation



No objections


Pending Applications*

1. 15/03423/FUL – Land Adjacent The Street Bramley

Erection of two no. 4 bedroom dwellings with detached garages and associated landscaping and access works

2. 16/00697/FUL – Land At Beech Farm Lane End Bramley

Erection of 15 no. dwellings, together with the widening of the existing access onto Lane End and provision of an area of public open space with associated landscaping

3. 16/03052/FUL & 16/03053/LBC – Beech Farm Lane End Bramley

Works of restoration to external elevations, roof and new entrance porch, and internal alterations to Beech Farm Cottages for use as two dwellings. Creation of a parking area to the west of the building. Demolition of dilapidated wooden shed/store to the south of the building

4. 16/02870/FUL – Land At Larchwood Crockford Lane Chineham

Erection of building for flexible B1c, B2 and B8 use with associated access, landscaping and parking

5. 16/03462/RES – Aurum Site Crockford Lane Chineham

Reserved matters application pursuant to outline planning permission 14/03343/OUT, for the erection of 130 dwellings, including appearance, landscaping, layout and scale

The outline application was not subject to the considerations of an EIA

6. 16/03524/RES – Land At Minchens Lane Bramley

Reserved matters application for Phase 2 for the access, layout, scale, appearance and landscaping of 66 dwellings with associated estate roads and open space (pursuant to Outline planning permission 14/01075/OUT for 200 dwellings)

7. 16/03827/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a detached double garage and workshop/home office

8. 16/03842/RES – Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Reserved matters application for the appearance, landscaping, layout and scale of 157 new dwellings with associated infrastructure, landscaping forming Phase 2 of outline planning permission BDB/77341

9. 16/03913/HSE – 19 Ringshall Gardens Bramley

Erection of single storey side extension

No objections


*Objections/no objections listed are the decision of Bramley Parish Council only, and do not reflect any submissions placed by members of the public or other bodies with Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council.



Appendix B – Reports



Total plots currently under lease agreement

  • X7 full plots
  • X10 half plots

Total plots available for lease –

  • All plots available are under offer/lease
  • Current waiting list is 7 (longest on list dates back too early 2015)

Actions –

  • Completed – Invoices for 2017 issued
  • Site survey required on ownership of trees–
  • Up to 3 quotes on Maintenance (Bulpitts, +2)



No written report received.



No written report received.



No written report received.



No written report received.



No written report received.



Beat Report November 2016 – Bramley and Sherfield (BL02)

Burglaries – Burglaries are a Local Beat Priority across the whole of Basingstoke. 5 reported burglaries reported over this month. Unfortunately this is an increase of 5 over the course of a month. Two of these were burglary to a dwelling and three were non dwelling burglaries. One of these burglaries, the offender(s) forced entry through the rear patio door but were disturbed by an alarm sounding which caused them to run off from the scene without stealing anything. This goes to show the importance of crime prevention and the role it plays in protecting your property and valuables. Please ensure that your doors and windows are locked when you are leaving your property unattended. If you think “how secure is my home?” and “have I done as much as reasonably possible to ensure I have kept my property safe?” on a regular basis and act on anything you pick up then naturally you will lower your risk of being a victim.

Please mark your valuables in some way with your post code or take a picture of them and any distinguishing marks just in case they are recovered by Police, then we will be able to return them to you.


Anti Social Behaviour – There have been 7 reports of ASB this month. That is an increase of 1 reported incident over the last month.

I have no reports of youths using catapults around Bramley. If we get no reports, I do not see a problem and therefore cannot try and fix said problem.

If you suffer from ASB and you are a tenant of social housing then you will need to report these incidents to your housing officer before you contact Police. If the offender is also in social housing accommodation then your housing association will have more powers to tackle it than we do. If your housing officer believes Police intervention will help then they will contact us.

I would like to encourage all residents to report any incidents of anti-social behaviour to us on 101, or if you are a resident of social housing and your issues are with a neighbour also living in social housing accommodation, please report any incidents to your local housing officer, if the problem then persists then your Housing Officer will contact me. Please do report ASB because if it doesn’t get reported then I will not know that it’s happening and therefore I will not be able to focus my patrol time efficiently.


Suspicious Incidents – There have also been 6 suspicious vehicle/ person reports.

I suspect that a lot of suspicious incidents don’t get reported because people don’t understand what we do with such reports so I will attempt to explain. When someone rings us via 101 or 999 our call takers will grade the report according to risk, these grades range from emergency response to no response at all. A suspicious incident reported at the time of it happening will normally warrant a quick response as most reports are of this nature where they will not be around for long (for example a suspicious person is likely to move on, a vehicle will drive away and noises might stop.) If police attend and speak to anyone reported to be acting suspiciously then they could get searched for items they shouldn’t have, that could lead to an arrest or good intelligence that we wouldn’t have had if no one called us. Also if the report is about a vehicle and we are not able to stop it then a marker could be placed on the vehicle in question for our attention explaining that this vehicle was seen in strange circumstances and therefore we are required to stop that vehicle and obtain occupants details. At the very minimum, if we are provided with a registration number then we will attend the home address of the registered owner and ask them why their vehicle was there, again depending on their answer depends on how we progress.

There have been cases in the past where someone has reported vehicles/ people acting in a suspicious manner and upon police arrival we have disturbed a burglary in progress and arrested the offenders. Recently, I was on patrol with a colleague and I noticed a white sports car parked in the entrance of a by-way. This looked out of place therefore we decided to carry out a vehicle check which didn’t reveal anything helpful. Due to the circumstances that were known to me at the time, I requested that a colleague call on the address of the registered owner to ask why their vehicle was parked there and when they arrived at the address it became apparent that the house had recently been burgled and the vehicle stolen from the driveway, it was so recent that the aggrieved party didn’t know it had even happened. The vehicle was returned to the owner and the property secured to prevent any further loss, this wouldn’t have been achieved if I did not act on something that looked out of place.

Just because something gets reported as suspicious it doesn’t mean anything bad is actually happening or likely to happen, it’s just something that seems odd for the area, we would rather receive the call and it turn out to be nothing to worry about than not receive a call and it turn out to be something serious.

If you see anything you consider being suspicious please call us on 101 to report it. If there are any units free at the time of the call, they will attend. I am impressed of the detail people giving to us. The majority of the suspicious vehicles that have been called in to us have been with a full registration! It helps us out a lot when we have this line of enquiry as we can normally locate the owner and ask them what they were doing.


Monthly Crime Stats

ASB – 7                                                 Assault – 2                                           Burglary Dwelling – 2

Burglary non-Dwelling – 3             Concern for Welfare – 0                Criminal Damage – 5

Driving Complaint – 3                     Drink Driving – 0                               Drug offences – 0

Harassment – 0                                 Public Order offences – 2              Road Traffic Collision – 0

Suspicious Incidents – 6                 Theft of Pedal Cycle – 0                  Theft – 2

Theft from Vehicle – 1                    Theft of Vehicle – 1


Emergency – As always, please can I ask all residents to report any suspicious persons, vehicles or incidents using the 101 telephone number; please only ring 999 if it is a genuine emergency. An easy guide on which number to use is this:


Is the incident in progress and is there a risk of injury or damage to property? – 999

Has the incident already happened and there is no longer any risk? – 101

Anything else we need to know about? – 101


Many thanks,

PCSO Nathan Johnson




Issues – None reported

Actions – Next project for 2017?  – Path linking Bramley to Sherfield-on-Loddon



Progress –

  • 3-way meeting between PC, HCC & Network Rail.
  • Flash report from HCC to be circulated when received –


Actions –

  • Completion of topographical survey on footpath;
  • Submission of C3/C4 notices in relation to utilities;
  • Geotechnical Site Investigation to begin;
  • Detailed design and preparation of drawings to start;
  • Confirmation of land boundaries;
  • Street lighting design to be commissioned following confirmation of land ownership;
  • Negotiations to be instigated regarding land.
  • Resident engagement

Notes –

Detailed design to be available 20/01/2017 (to change due to Delivery requirements) – This date is likely to change due to delayed meeting with Network Rail and contract negotiations between the Parish Council and County Council consultants.



Network Rail – level crossing exploratory meetings

  • No further consultation or progress since Nov 2016


Transport survey work

  • Communication Plan options –
    • Carry out an air quality management survey around level crossing
      • Ongoing research into solutions – Due to Parish Council Jan 2017
      • Community engagement day ?



  • Centralised email server and cloud based file storage – G cloud (digital marketplace, no need for competitive quotes as framework).
    • There are over 25,000 cloud services on the Digital Marketplace. These are split into 4 categories or ‘lots’:
    • Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), e.g. content delivery networks or hosting
    • Platform as a Service (PaaS), e.g. platforms that provide a basis for building other services and applications
    • Software as a Service (SaaS), e.g. accounting tools or customer service management software
    • Specialist Cloud Services (SCS), e.g. IT health checks or data migrations
  • Access to all for each Councillor and Parish Clerk
  • Dedicated IT device for each Councillor
  • Formulation of an agreed IT Strategy for the Parish Council




No written report received.



No written report received.



Appendix C – Finance


Bank Reconciliation
14th December 2016
Closing Balance from statement #043 4th December 2016 £122,666.03
30 Nov 16 HMRC – VAT claim Q1 and Q2 10,398.48
05 Dec 16 Allotment rent 12.00
05 Dec 16 BDBC – s.106 for CMT storage 4,000.00
06 Dec 06 Allotment rent 12.00
08 Dec 16 Allotment rent 12.00
12 Dec 16 BDBC – Litter Warden grant 3,744.00
13 Dec 16 Allotment rent 24.00
13 Dec 16 Allotment rent 36.00
16 Nov 16 534  HALC – councillor training fees 180.00
16 Nov 16 535  Bramley Village Hall – hall hire NDP meeting 24.00
16 Nov 16 536  Bramley Village Hall – hall hire October 36.00
16 Nov 16 540  Bulpitt Brothers – churchyard maintenance 180.00
16 Nov 16 540  Bulpitt Brothers – grass cutting at Bramley Green 420.00
16 Nov 16 540  Bulpitt Brothers – culvert clearance at Cinder Track 450.00
14 Dec 16 542  Bench removal – Burial Ground 50.00
14 Dec 16 543  SLCC Membership 133.33
14 Dec 16 DDDEC01  Litter Warden Salary – December 291.67
14 Dec 16 DDDEC02  Clerk’s salary – December 1,156.15
14 Dec 16 DDDEC03  Clerk’s phone & stationery expenses 74.03
14 Dec 16 DDDEC04  Hall Hire – EGM 24.00
14 Dec 16 DDDEC05  Hall Hire – November 36.00
14 Dec 16 DDDEC06  Parish Magazine pages – Jun-Oct 500.00
14 Dec 16 DDDEC07  Grant for Cross House furnishing 450.00
14 Dec 16 DDDEC08  Solicitors Fees – Bullsdown Path 57.60
 Balance including uncleared cheques/payments £136,841.73