Minutes 16th March 2016

Minutes of the Meeting of the Council

Date: Wednesday 16th March 2016 Time: 7.30pm
Place: Bramley Room, Bramley Village Hall
Present: Cllr Durrant (Chair) Cllr Bell
Cllr Ansell Cllr Lane
Cllr Capel Cllr Clarke
In Attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 8 members of the public
  Cllr Tomblin (Borough)
Apologies: Cllr Murphy Cllr Marshall
  Cllr Robinson (Borough) Cllr Keith Chapman (County)



1 Apologies for Absence

As listed above.

2 Declarations of Interest


3 Minutes of the Last Parish Council Meeting


The minutes of the meetings held on 17th February 2016 were unanimously agreed to be a true and accurate record.  The minutes were signed by the Chairman.




Matters arising


Defibrillator – postponed to April meeting.


4 Open Forum


The Chairman invited questions and comments from those present.

Judy Foyle asked what extra facilities Bramley will receive as a result of planning permission being given for The Street development.  She noted that the School is in particular need of assistance.

Venetia Rowland gave an update on the Goddards Farm development.  Sherfield residents have appointed independent planning consultant, as have the Parish Council.  The two consultants are liaising with each other.  There is an open evening at the White Hart to help people with registering comments and objections to the application.

Judy Foyle asked if there was any point in responding negatively to planning applications such as those for The Street and Strawberry Fields, as she felt that planning officers and the DC committee at BDBC are taking notice of such objections.


5 Planning & Development


New Applications

16/00265/OUT – Land At Goddards Farm Goddards Lane Sherfield-on-Loddon

Outline application with access to be considered for residential development of up to 95 dwellings (including 40% affordable) and demolition of garages to form a vehicular access point from Bow Drive and associated ancillary works; replacement garaging, planting and landscaping, informal open space, children’s play area and surface water attenuation

Bramley PC has responded to preliminary consultation.  It was unanimously agreed to respond to the application with the same points of cumulative development, impact on the school, impact on traffic, impact on the strategic gap.

Cllr Durrant noted that such applications should always be responded to, even if it is felt such objections do not seem to be taken in to account.  Cllr Bell observed that BDBC are at present tied by the fact that they do not have a Local Development Plan in place and cannot demonstrate a 5 year housing supply.

16/00429/FUL – Welling Cottage Sherfield Road Bramley

Erection of 1 no. 2 bed dwelling following demolition of existing garage

No objections were unanimously agreed.  However, concerns on parking provision with the loss of the garage should be noted.

16/00708/TENO – Site At Minchens Lane Bramley

Installation of 1 no. telecom’s cabinet

No objections unanimously agreed.






















Approvals/Refusals – Planning approvals and refusals were noted (appendix A).


Update on The Street Development – This application was considered by the Development Control Committee at BDBC on 9th March.  Planning permission was granted by a majority vote, despite the PC highlighting significant problems with the traffic assessment, and again highlighting that the affordable housing quota is in an unsuitable site.  Cllr Durrant noted that PC will continue to fight the development.  The PC is exploring what options there are now that this application and the application for Strawberry Fields have been granted.  Cllr Bell again noted that because BDBC cannot demonstrate a 5 year supply of housing due to the lack of a Local Development Plan, almost any application for development is being accepted.

Cllr Tomblin supported Cllr Bell’s comments, adding that the old Development Plan has now expired, and the new Plan is unlikely to be fully approved until May or June 2016.  He also noted that BDBC are examining each application on its own merit, without reference to other developments in the area.  Cllr Tomblin also gave background to why the Local Plan was delayed, and on what protection it is likely to give once adopted.



Update on Flood Report – the surveyor has completed a full fluvial study on behalf of AAH Planning Consultants, which has been passed to BDBC, who will then pass on to the Environment Agency.



Local Development Plan update – on schedule for being adopted in May 2016.  No further news at present.


6 Parish Environment


Longbridge Road Green update – the resident led survey was distributed in late February to all residents of Longbridge Road and Jibbs Meadow, and to residents in Lane End and The Smithy who live near the Cinder Track.  The results have now been collated and will be released on the Parish Council website imminently.  Cllr Durrant will distribute the results via a leaflet drop to all residents in due course.  Results are also to be passed to the local PCSOs.

Cllr Durrant has spoken to the landowner, who is now aware of the survey.  The landowner still intends to try and get the Village Green status rescinded.

Cllr Durrant stated that if residents come to the PC with a viable scheme the PC will look into supporting it.

Cllr Bell asked if BDBC will buy back the land from the owner.  Cllr Durrant confirmed that the owner does not wish to sell the land.





Cllr Durrant


Parish Lengthsman Scheme – the Clerk has distributed information on this to all councillors.  The current round of funding is being settled, and a cluster consisting of Pamber Parish Council and Bramley Parish Council has been suggested.  Pamber PC are keen to go forward with this, and will act as the lead parish.  The cluster will go live on 1st April 2016 if all parties are agreed.  The Clerk further noted that Bramley PC agreed to be part of a cluster in September 2014.

Cllr Bell proposed joining the Pamber PC cluster.  This was seconded by Cllr Capel and unanimously agreed.  Clerk to take forward.

The Clerk requested a list of possible tasks around Bramley for the Lengthsman.










Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations – the Clerk reported that Clift Meadow Trust have decided not to go ahead with a planned village event in June, due to a clash with an event in Sherfield on Loddon and difficulty in hiring entertainment.  The Clerk has asked if the Village Hall Trust were interested in putting and event together, but has not received a response.  Cllr Lane confirmed that Village Hall Trust were due to discuss at their next meeting.  Cllr Durrant noted that the Church should be contacted to see if they have a planned event.

Cllr Bell noted the ‘Clean for the Queen’ scheme.  However, this needs a team of volunteers and co-ordinators.








Signage for St James Church – the PCC has asked if the Parish Council would have any objection to a new sign being erected on the green space by the road near the Church.  Possible examples have been circulated to all councillors.

The Clerk has put the PCC directly in touch with HCC Highways, who are responsible for the land and the signage on it.

It was unanimously agreed that the PC would support the erection of a new sign as per the PCCs request.  Clerk to let PCC know.







7 Clerk’s Report & Correspondence

Actions from previous meeting:

  • Salt bin for Pheabans Field/Oakmead – this has been ordered.  Highways have suggested placing it at the Coopers Lane junction.  They cannot place it at the Oakmead junction as the land there is unadopted.  Cllr Capel confirmed that residents are supportive of having a salt bin.  She stated that the residents were happy with the placement at Coopers Lane.  Clerk to contact Highways.
  • Campbell Road bus stops – the work on these is now complete.









Parish Council Risk Assessment – the Clerk has distributed copies of the current risk assessment for review.

Cllr Bell proposed accepting the risk assessment, and this was unanimously agreed.  The risk assessment was duly signed.


8 Reports


Reports from Parish Council representatives


Allotments & Burial Ground Update – see appendix B.

Cllr Ansell noted that the ditching work was being carried out this week.  Once this is complete, four empty plots will be freed up for lease.  The Church has been approached about clearing their part of the ditch, but no response has been received as yet.  Going forward, the ditching will be maintained annually.



Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Bell gave a verbal update.

The Plan is In the hands of the external examiner.  It should be back very soon.  The result of the health check is also awaited.

Cllr Bell noted the change in the Local Plan from ‘approximately‘  to ‘at least’ on the number of houses to be developed, and noted that it appears that this is unlikely to be changed again, despite the number of objections.

Cllr Bell stated that the Oakley NDP is out for referendum very soon.

Cllr Bell has been in touch with June Balcombe at BDBC re how s.106 funds are allocated.  A meeting is to be set up with June and with Paul Martin.  It was noted that the PC need to be pro-active on what items could be put forward for Bramley for s.106 funds.








Cllr Bell


Village Hall Trust – see appendix B.

Cllr Lane gave a verbal update.

  • There is a meeting on 21st March.
  • The recent Film Night went very well, and others are planned.
  • The new chairs are now in.
  • Fans in the Bramley Room need cleaning and replacing.
  • A new Events and Admin Co-ordinator is still being sought.  LIF funding will continue for this position.
  • The car park work is done, and the height barrier has been raised.



Clift Meadow Trust – see appendix B.



Education & Schools – see appendix B.

Cllr Durrant noted that Bramley School is likely to see an increase in demand for places due to new housing developments.  The PC has concerns on this.  Venetia Rowland noted that the PTA might be approached for support in objections to planning applications on an educational basis.  Clerk to find out who is the Chair of Governors.







Policing and Neighbourhood Watch – see appendix B.

Cllr Durrant noted specific questions from the Longbridge Road survey re ASB.  These are to be passed to police.

Recent vandalism was noted, particularly to one of the village noticeboards.  Clerk to check that the police are aware of the issue.  Repair of the noticeboard is in hand.






Highways & Road Closures – see appendix B.

  • Mortimer Lane and Ladylands Lane are due to be closed for 2 days sometime after 24thMarch.
  • The level crossing will be closed overnight on 19th March and 26th March, from 10.30pm until 9.30am on both occasions.
  • Temporary double yellow lines at Coopers Lanes, Jibbs Meadow , Longbridge Road, and Ringshall Gardens are to be made permanent – this is out for consultation until 8th April.

Bullsdown path – the grant has been approved for resurfacing.  Legal work is now going through.  Surfacing materials can be obtained once the quarry re-opens for the Spring, and the work will take about three days sometime after this.

Clerk to check whether all properties at the Bullsdown Farm development are sold, and if so ask for removal of the sign.














Road Safety proposals – see appendix B.

Cllr Ansell gave a verbal update.  A draft proposal will be ready by 18th March, with a meeting on 20th April.  Discussions with Network Rail have been opened about the land around the station.



Borough Councillor Report – Cllr Tomblin gave a verbal update.

  •  Devolution plans have stalled as the government are insisting on an elected mayor, which HCC and full Hampshire consortium do not support.  As a result, a counter bid has gone in for the Solent area, which does include an elected mayor.  Devolution would also likely mean more development.

The Clerk noted that she has received an email from Cllr Robinson, noting his disappointment in the decision made on The Street planning application, and his full support for the Parish Council’s continued objections.  He is also continuing to work with Taylor Wimpey on works to facilitate adoption at Kirby Drive, and has made the developers aware of issues with the standard of some of the work.



County Councillor Report – see appendix B.


Chairmans Report – Cllr Durrant noted that there have been two long standing chairmen of the Parish Council in more recent years, and suggested that there may be some way of recognising their efforts.  He invited suggestions from other councillors.




9 Consultation Documents requiring consideration


BDBC Housing & Homelessness Strategy – Cllr Durrant suggested that a response should be put in on behalf of Bramley PC.  He will draft a response and distribute to councillors for comment.  Deadline is 24th March.


Cllr Durrant


Manydown Masterplan consultation – Bramley PC plan to respond.  Cllr Tomblin noted that ward members for Bramley, Sherfield and Chineham plan to meet soon to discuss.  Clerk to check links and send to councillors.  Deadline is 29th March.





Network Rail Enhanced Delivery Plans – this is a lengthy consultation, but the electrification of the Basingstoke to Reading is discussed on one page only.  It states that the anticipated completion date will be April 2017.  However, this seems unlikely.


10 Grant Applications


Bramley Lunch Club funding – Bramley Lunch Club have requested a grant of £250 to ensure the continuation of the club after recent hall hire charge increases.  This grant would be made under s.137.  Cllr Durrant proposed granting £250, and suggested that the PC talk to the Lunch Club about longer term assistance.  Unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.







Tadley CAB – a request for funding has been received from Tadley CAB to support their ongoing work for Bramley residents.  Cllr Bell proposed a grant of £1000, Cllr Ansell seconded, unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.




11 Finance


Payments and Reconciliation Approval – see appendix C.

The clerk outlined the payments and reconciliation for March.  She noted the following:

  • An invoice is now in for further NDP consultancy work
  • The final payment for the Youth Facility is now due
  • Invoicing and s.106 money is expected for work on the Village Hall and Clift Meadow car parks.  This will need to be processed as soon as the invoice is received as it needs to be completed by year end.
  • There may be a few minor invoices to be paid before the end of March.  The Clerk will obtain authorisation for these via email.

All other payments are as expected.

It was unanimously agreed to approve the payments for March – Clerk to process.














Acknowledgement of Receipts – see Appendix C.

Receipts were acknowledged.


NS&I Investment Account – the Clerk raised two points about this account.

  • The mandate needs to be switched over so that the Clerk can receive statements for the account and make any necessary deposits and withdrawals.  This was unanimously agreed.
  • It has been suggested by the internal auditor that the account should be closed, and funds amalgamated in to the Unity Trust Bank current account.  It was unanimously agreed to do this.  Clerk to action.


12 Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on Wednesday 20th April at 7.30pm, in the Bramley Room at the Village Hall.


13 Resolution – To exclude press and public from items that may require discussion of possible legal and financial proceedings i.a.w Public Meetings – Admission to Public Meetings Act 1960

No confidential business to discuss.


The meeting closed at 9.09pm






Signed:                 ………………………………………………………………….   Date:………………………………………             


Appendix A – Planning Summary

Planning Applications for Consideration


1. 16/00265/OUT – Land At Goddards Farm Goddards Lane Sherfield-on-Loddon

Outline application with access to be considered for residential development of up to 95 dwellings (including 40% affordable) and demolition of garages to form a vehicular access point from Bow Drive and associated ancillary works; replacement garaging, planting and landscaping, informal open space, children’s play area and surface water attenuation

2. 16/00429/FUL – Welling Cottage Sherfield Road Bramley

Erection of 1 no. 2 bed dwelling following demolition of existing garage

3. 16/00708/TENO – Site At Minchens Lane Bramley

Installation of 1 no. telecom’s cabinet




1. 15/02304/RES – Land Minchens Lane Bramley – AMENDED

Reserved matters application for Phase 1 for the layout, scale, appearance and landscaping of 57 dwellings, (pursuant to Outline planning permission 14/01075/OUT for 200 dwellings)

2. 15/02682/OUT – Land Adjacent The Street Bramley

Outline planning permission for up to 39 market dwellings and 26 affordable dwellings, together with associated open space, landscaping and new site access at land to the south of The Street, Bramley

3. 15/04531/HSE – 23 St James Close Bramley

Conversion of garage to study

4. 15/04548/HSE – 58 Moat Close Bramley

Erection of part single/part 2-storey extension to rear

5. T/00494/15/TPO – Land At Campbell Road Bramley

Pollard 4 no. Lime in G2 east of 5-8 Oaklea Gardens – down to 4/5m in height

6. 16/00034/HSE – Lyndale Sherfield Road Bramley

Proposed single storey side extension and second storey rear extension

7. 16/00045/HSE – 10 The Mews Bramley

Conversion of integral garage to reception room and replacement of garage door with windows

8. 16/00095/RET – Bow Brook Farm Vyne Road Bramley

Installation of horse walker and entrance gates (Retrospective)

9. T/00024/16/TCA – Grays House The Street Bramley

G1 Limes – repollard group of Lime trees to previous pollard points – final pollard height and spreads would be approx 5m by 3m respectively.
T2 Sycamore – crown lift to achieve approx a 1.5m clearance over outbuilding.
G2 shelter belt of mixed species – fell numerous dead/dangerous windblown trees and remove hanging, broken/dangerous branches

10. T/00053/16/TCA – The Firs 2 Churchlands Bramley

T1 Ash – repollard Pollard to give a finish height of approximately 5m. (no crown spread as such as the last contractors that pollarded them left them as poles so there would be 5-6 straight stems remaining).
T2 Prunus – reduce by 1.5m leaving tree at 3.5-4m.
G2 – 2 small Ash and 1 Hawthorn – reduce by approx 1m leaving the trees at 3m



Pending Applications


1. 15/03077/HSE – Ringshall The Street Bramley

Erection of two storey side and front extensions, with single storey front extension to form entrance porch. Erection of new boundary fence and entrance gates

2. 15/03423/FUL – Land Adjacent The Street Bramley

Erection of two no. 4 bedroom dwellings with detached garages and associated landscaping and access works

3. 15/03907/LBC & 15/03906/HSE – Bramley Corner House Bramley Corner Bramley

Conversion of outbuilding to annexe

No objections
4. 15/04506/FUL – Royal British Legion The Street Bramley

Erection of 10 no. dwellinghouses (4 no. 2 bed dwellings and 6 no. 4 bed dwellings) to include parking, access and amenity space, following demolition of existing private members’ club building

No objections, comments
5.  T/00019/16/TPO – Chestnut Lodge Officers Row Bramley

T1 London Plane – lift to 4m above ground level as when in leaf branches nearly touch the ground

No objections
6. 16/00122/ROC – Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Removal of condition 8 of planning permission BDB/77341 (Outline application for up to 425 dwellings) regarding the Code for Sustainable Homes Policy (CfSH)

No objections
7. 16/00186/HSE – 1 The Smithy Bramley

Variation of condition no. 18 of planning consent BDB/41588 to allow conversion of the garage to living accommodation

No objections, comments
8. 16/00269/FUL – Cufaude Manor Cufaude Lane Bramley

Erection of 2 no. detached barn style dwellings

No objections, comments
9. T/00050/16/TPO – 13 North Row Bramley Tadley

T7 Oak – fell to ground level and grind out stump and replant

No objections




Appendix B – Briefing Notes



Ditching work at the allotments and burial ground has begun, and is expected to be complete within 1 – 2 weeks.



No written report.



No written report



No written report.



No written report.



No written report.  A beat report has been requested.



The Small Grants Scheme application for the Bullsdown Path has been accepted.



No written report.


No meeting held in March.  Next meeting scheduled for April.  The planned event in June for the Queen’s 90th birthday will now not go ahead due to difficulty in engaging entertainers and a clash with an event in Sherfield.



Appendix C – Finance


Bank Reconciliation
16th March 2016
Closing Balance from statement #031 1st March 2016 £171,596.44
09 Mar 16 HMRC 2,966.50
15 Mar 16 000058 Allotment holders 120.00
15 Mar 16 000059 Mrs M V Best 67.00
17 Feb 16 433  Bramley PCC – Parish Magazine pages – Nov & Dec 200.00
17 Feb 16 436  M&M Printers – Local Plan Leaflet 157.00
16 Mar 16 437  Mrs J Shore – Litter Warden’s salary 291.67
16 Mar 16 438  Mrs M J Thomas – Clerk’s salary 1,149.55
16 Mar 16 439  HMRC – Tax/Nics Q4 1,258.10
16 Mar 16 440  Mrs M J Thomas – Travel expenses 49.59
16 Mar 16 440  Mrs M J Thomas – postage expenses 12.90
16 Mar 16 440  Mrs M J Thomas – car parking expenses 4.30
16 Mar 16 441  AAH Planning Consultants – Flood report 7,830.00
16 Mar 16 442  Ian Humby Ltd – flood survey work for AAH 1,260.00
16 Mar 16 443  Strongbond – final building invoice for Youth Facility 8,713.97
16 Mar 16 444  Bramley Village Hall – March hall hire 36.00
16 Mar 16 445  Bramley Village Hall – February hall hire 36.00
16 Mar 16 446  Cross House – hall hire for NDP 72.00
16 Mar 16 447  R C Saunders Ltd -window for Campbell Road bus stop 216.00
16 Mar 16 448  ICO – Data Protection registration 35.00
16 Mar 16 449  HALC – Annual Conference fees 72.00
16 Mar 16 450  HALC – Clerk’s Update fees 42.00
16 Mar 16 451  BVA – Grant for Youth Workers 7,253.46
16 Mar 16 452  Urban Vision – NDP Consultancy work 5,700.00
 Balance including uncleared cheques £140,360.40