Minutes 16th November 2016

Minutes of the Meeting of the Council

Date: Wednesday 16th November 2016 Time: 7.30pm
Place: Main Hall, Bramley Village Hall
Present: Cllr Durrant (Chair) Cllr Bell (Vice Chair)
Cllr Tomblin Cllr Capel
Cllr Flooks Cllr Ansell
Cllr Marshall Cllr DiMascio
In Attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 5 members of the public
  Cllr Robinson (Borough)
Apologies: Cllr Lane Cllr Rowland (Borough)
  Cllr Keith Chapman (County) PCSO Johnson



1 Apologies for Absence

As listed above.

2 Declarations of Interest

Cllr Tomblin noted and interest in item 5.1– Razors Farm reserved matters, and also item 5.5 on the Cufaude Manor appeal.

3 Minutes of the Last Parish Council Meeting


The minutes of the meetings held on 19th October and 3rd November 2016 were unanimously agreed to be a true and accurate record.  The minutes were signed by the Chairman.




Matters arising




4 Open Forum

The Chairman invited questions and comments from those present.



5 Planning & Development


New Applications

16/03524/RES – Land At Minchens Lane Bramley

Reserved matters application for Phase 2 for the access, layout, scale, appearance and landscaping of 66 dwellings with associated estate roads and open space (pursuant to Outline planning permission 14/01075/OUT for 200 dwellings)

Two main concerns were highlighted – 3 storey houses should be 2.5, and some roof tile colours are not in keeping with the rest of the village.  Councillors have met with the planning officer to discuss, and are also hoping to meet with developers next week.

Cllr Bell has objected on behalf of NDP working group, and listed the various policies relevant to this case.

Other concerns discussed were:

  • Developers appear to have gone against what was previously agreed
  • A number of hedgerows are being taken out, which may not fit in with rural aspect
  • Moat Close residents have expressed concern that they may be overlooked by the development
  • There appears to be fewer paths and cycleways than originally planned
  • Lack of screening from railway line

There was some discussion on the blocks of flats – it looks as though there is little room for manoeuvre on how much social housing there needs to be.  However, this will be investigated, particularly in light of other development in Bramley which will also give the requisite 40% social housing – more than Bramley requires.

Objections unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.

16/03826/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a single storey rear extension and conversion of garage to living accommodation

See below.

16/03827/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a detached double garage and workshop/home office

The new garage will be very visible from the road, although precedents have been set elsewhere in the village.  The garage will have brick and timber cladding, and tiles will not be consistent with the tiles on the bungalow, and therefore also not in keeping with rest of the village.

Objections unanimously agreed on garage, no objections to extension.  Clerk to process.

16/03842/RES – Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Reserved matters application for the appearance, landscaping, layout and scale of 157 new dwellings with associated infrastructure, landscaping forming Phase 2 of outline planning permission BDB/77341

Cllr Tomblin took no part in the discussion or decision on this item.

The following concerns were raised:

  • A number of the three storey buildings are along one boundary, which is also on a rise, and therefore does not keep the area rural.  There is also nothing like these buildings in Chineham or Bramley.
  • The street lighting proposals were noted – Cllrs felt that these were not rural and would could light pollution
  • There is a lack of allocated parking, which will push parked cars on to roads around the estate.
  • Planting planned around the estate is for ornamental trees – these are unlikely to form an effective screen.
  • There are a variety of roof tiles proposed for the estate, which are of different colours. It was felt that this was not in keeping with the rural area.

Objections as outlined above unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.

16/03913/HSE – 19 Ringshall Gardens Bramley

Erection of single storey side extension

No objections unanimously agreed.

16/04213/VLA – Land at Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Request for variation of mortgagee in possession clause in Section 106 agreement attached to BDB/77341

The Clerk explained that this application had come in today, and that there is very little information about it to date.  She has requested clarification from the planning officer.  More information to be sent to all councillors when available.














































Approvals/Refusals – these were noted.  See appendix A.



Minchens Lane reserved matters – see item 5.1



Update on Beech Farm development – the Parish Council’s objections to both applications have been submitted.  They will be called in for discussion by the BDBC Development Control Committee.   The Clerk noted that the Parish Council have requested a slot for speaking at this meeting.  The next DC meeting is on 7th December.



Update on Cufaude Manor planning application – the Clerk noted that this application was refused by BDBC, and that the decision has been appealed.  Cllr Bell noted that value could be added to the PC response with the readiness of the NDP.  Cllr Bell to strengthen PC objections as necessary with regards to NDP.  Unanimously agreed.




Cllr Bell

6 Parish Environment


Level crossing update – Cllr Ansell updated the Parish Council as per his briefing note (appendix B), and stated that the notes from the meeting with Network Rail, HCC and BDBC are now on the PC website.  Network Rail have stated that there are no plans for any expenditure before 2019, and have confirmed in writing that they do not have any plans to close the level crossing at present.



Press Statement on level crossing – the Clerk stated that she has been contacted by a local radio station about the possible closure of the level crossing.  They have requested a formal statement that could be recorded and played on air.  Cllr Ansell is happy to give statement if necessary.

It was unanimously agreed that a verbal statement would not be made, and that any enquiries should be directed to the website.



Update on Transport survey – Cllr Ansell gave an update as per his briefing note (appendix B).

  • Air quality management survey – Cllr Ansell has distributed information to councillors, although there are no costs as yet.  Residents noted that whilst some people turn off their engines at the level crossing, many people do not, and questioned whether it is worth erecting notices asking people to switch off their engines.  This needs to be investigated.  Problems with traffic overtaking queue were also noted – this is being looked at as part of the Road Safety project.  It was unanimously agreed that Cllr Ansell should investigate the Air Quality survey further.
  • Community engagement day – the Transport Consultants will charge £500 for input into a community engagement day.  This could run alongside NDP open days, although care is needed to make sure this does not affect the impact of the NDP.  It could also possibly be combined with Road Safety project open days.  It was unanimously agreed to engage the services of the consultant for community engagement.  Cllr Ansell to take forward.
  • Vehicle management signs – Cllr Ansell has distributed information to councillors, and asked if the PC would be interested in using these.  It was noted that these look very urban.  It was unanimously agreed not to go any further with these.



Cllr Ansell






Cllr Ansell



Speeding Traffic – complaints have been received from several quarters about speeding traffic in the parish, particularly on the C32 through the village.

The Clerk has investigated whether BDBC supply more than one kind of speed limit reminder (SLR) sign, and confirmed that they do not.  Costs for hire of the sign are £160 for a four week period inclusive of set up, weekly sign check/battery change and removal.

Cllr Durrant noted that previous attempts to get a Community Speedwatch scheme going were not successful.

Cllr Tomblin noted SLRs that also give the registration of the offending vehicle (this might work for overtaking vehicles at level crossing).  These appear to cost around £5000.  It could possibly be hired out to other parishes as well.

Clerk to put out request via HALC to find out what other Hampshire parishes are doing.

Other options to be explored further.









Cllr Tomblin

7 Clerk’s report and administration


The Clerk has received notice of a planning workshop to be held in Winchester on 25thJanuary 2016 – details have been distributed to all councillors.  Cllr Bell noted that this is on the day before the NDP referendum.


8 Reports


Reports from Parish Council representatives


Allotments & Burial Ground Update – see appendix B.

  • Burial Ground – Work on the headstones at the Burial Ground is continuing.

A seat needs to be replaced at the Burial Ground– Clerk to investigate.

  • Allotments – Cllr Robinson stated that Sherfield-on-Loddon allotment group (as part of the PC) are applying to BDBC for s.106 money to provide raised allotment beds for people with back issues.  The money is available and ring-fenced, but needs agreement from both Sherfield-on-Loddon PC and Bramley PC.  Cost is likely to be less than the £1000 available.  Clerk to place on agenda for December.






         i.            The Clerk has obtained a quote for maintenance work on the ditch at the allotments and burial ground – this is for £1500.  More quotes to be sought.




Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Bell gave a verbal report.

The referendum will be on 26th January 2017.  All residents of the parish will be sent a polling card.  Editing of the NDP is being carried out at the moment, in line with what was agreed at the EGM, with the final version to be ready by 5th December.  Some discussion on how to handle changes to maps – examiner has requested OS maps.

i.            Open days and leaflet drop – Leaflet drop should coincide with release of polling cards.  Cllr Tomblin suggested putting out a leaflet to go out with polling cards – Cllr Bell to see if this is possible.  Open days will involve all councillors as far as possible – dates are to be confirmed.  Materials to assist the open days will be funded fully by the PC – unanimously agreed.  Clerk to check dates for Bramley Room and Clift Meadow Pavilion, and also investigate whether the school might be a viable venue.




Cllr Bell





Village Hall Trust – no report.  It was noted that an interim representative is needed during Cllr Lane’s absence.  Cllrs to contact Clerk in near future.




Clift Meadow Trust – see appendix B.

CMT have now heard back from Cllr Keith Chapman – a grant is being given, but unsure of amount at present.

Cllr Capel planning to speak to station master about possible noticeboards by the level crossing.



Education & Schools – Cllr Capel gave a verbal report.

Cllr Capel is meeting with new head, Mr Golding, on 17th November.




Policing & Neighbourhood Watch – see appendix B.

Clerk still to set up a quarterly meeting with PCSO Johnson and PC.  Report to go on website.




Highways & Road Closures – see appendix B.

i.            Remedial work on the Campbell Road roundabout is due to begin on 21stNovember for two weeks.  Appropriate traffic control will be in place.  Notices have already been placed on the website and social media.



Road Safety project – see appendix B.



Borough Councillor Report

Cllr Rowland has sent a brief written report:

  • Given the outcome yesterday on the Minchens Lane development and my follow up with Persimmon Homes today, a potential meeting is on the table with Jon Bishop on either the 23rd or 24th November at 2.30pm – I would suggest the venue is BDBC.
  • Razors Farm – I have requested a meeting with Sue Tarvit of BDBC Planning with regard to the development – at the moment the likely date is 6th December- TBC.  PC reps to be invited.

Cllr Robinson gave a verbal report.

  • He is chasing Taylor Wimpey re Kirby Drive – no progress.
  • He noted that the Council Tax support grant is disappearing, along with the Limited General Grant.



County Councillor Report – no report.


Chairmans Report – no report.



Commemorative Plaque – the Clerk is investigating which names need to be included on the plaque, and is currently awaiting a reply.


9 Consultation Documents requiring consideration

None.  The Clerk did note two questionnaires that have gone out recently via email.  In both instances, the link in the email was a one-time link that could not be used once the questionnaire had been completed – this was not made clear in the original email.  The Clerk is querying this with both organisations.


10 Grant Applications


Clift Meadow Trust – the Clerk stated that CMT have now come back with revised designs and materials for the signs.  The cost of the car park signage is £823+VAT.  Councillors questioned how the car park is going to be policed once signs are in place.  Concern was raised about the ‘Clift Meadow Park’ name – It was felt the that the historic name for the site was ‘Clift Meadow’.  If ‘Park‘ is removed, then grant likely to be agreed.

The Clerk also noted that work has begun on the drains.  However, it appears that the issue is greater than first thought, resulting in the need to install a pump in Brocas Hall.  The current estimate for this is around £3500, although this is to be confirmed.  This is not a formal grant request at this stage – members of CMT and the PC will be meeting next week to discuss the issue.

Cllr Robinson to investigate what s.106 money might be available for Bramley PC  and CMT to use.



Bramley Youth Club – a request has been received from the Youth Club to fund some equipment for the club – an Xbox One, a pool table, a projector and screen for showing movies, an air hockey table, and an audio mixing deck with monitors and headphones.  The total for all of this is around £850 – £900.   Unanimously agreed subject to formal grant request.


11 Finance


Payments and Reconciliation Approval – see appendix C.

The clerk outlined the payments and reconciliation for November.  She noted the following:

  • Course fees for councillor training are now due.
  • Further fees for the traffic study are due.
  • Invoices have been received for the newsletter printing.
  • An invoice from Wellers Hedley for legal work on the Bullsdown path is now due.  The Clerk noted that some of this work was due to BDBC losing their original agreement twice.  She has spoken with the solicitors, who have suggested that the PC should contact BDBC to see if they will part pay this invoice.
  • All other payments are as expected.

It was unanimously agreed to approve the payments for November – Clerk to process.










Acknowledgement of Receipts – see appendix C.

Receipts were noted.  The Clerk has placed a VAT claim for £10,400 for quarters 1 and 2 2016/17, and expects payment of this by the end of November.

12 Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 14th December 2016.


The meeting finished at 9.45pm

 Signed:                 ………………………………………………………………….      Date:………………………………………


Appendix A – Planning Summary


Planning Applications for Consideration

1 16/03524/RES – Land At Minchens Lane Bramley

Reserved matters application for Phase 2 for the access, layout, scale, appearance and landscaping of 66 dwellings with associated estate roads and open space (pursuant to Outline planning permission 14/01075/OUT for 200 dwellings)

2. 16/03826/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a single storey rear extension and conversion of garage to living accommodation

3. 16/03827/HSE – Oakdale Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of a detached double garage and workshop/home office

4. 16/03842/RES – Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Reserved matters application for the appearance, landscaping, layout and scale of 157 new dwellings with associated infrastructure, landscaping forming Phase 2 of outline planning permission BDB/77341

5. 16/03913/HSE – 19 Ringshall Gardens Bramley

Erection of single storey side extension



1. 15/04506/FUL – Royal British Legion The Street Bramley

Erection of 9 no. dwellinghouses (4 no. 2 bed dwellings and 6 no. 4 bed dwellings) to include parking, access and amenity space, following demolition of existing private members’ club building



No objections, comments

2. 16/02770/HSE – 1 Ellen Gardens Bramley

Erection of part first floor side extension above garage and conversion of roof to living accommodation, to include dormer window and roof lights





Pending Applications*

1. 15/03423/FUL – Land Adjacent The Street Bramley

Erection of two no. 4 bedroom dwellings with detached garages and associated landscaping and access works

2. 16/00697/FUL – Land At Beech Farm Lane End Bramley

Erection of 15 no. dwellings, together with the widening of the existing access onto Lane End and provision of an area of public open space with associated landscaping

3. 16/03052/FUL & 16/03053/LBC

Works of restoration to external elevations, roof and new entrance porch, and internal alterations to Beech Farm Cottages for use as two dwellings. Creation of a parking area to the west of the building. Demolition of dilapidated wooden shed/store to the south of the building

4. 16/02870/FUL – Land At Larchwood Crockford Lane Chineham

Erection of building for flexible B1c, B2 and B8 use with associated access, landscaping and parking

5. 16/03525/HSE – Ringshall The Street Bramley

Erection of two storey side and front extension, with single storey front, side and rear extensions, following demolition of existing conservatories

6. 16/03462/RES – Aurum Site Crockford Lane Chineham

Reserved matters application pursuant to outline planning permission 14/03343/OUT, for the erection of 130 dwellings, including appearance, landscaping, layout and scale

The outline application was not subject to the considerations of an EIA



Appendix B – Reports



Total plots currently under lease agreement

  • X7 full plots
  • X10 half plots

Total plots available for lease –

  • All plots available are under offer/lease
  • Current waiting list is 7 (longest on list dates back too early 2015)


  • Lease charges agreed to remain at prices since 2009
  • Invoices to be issued for payment due Jan 2017
  • Site survey required on ownership of trees



No written report.



No written report.



No written report.



Briefing notes from CMT October Meeting

  • Grant for drains – approached Keith Chapman for County Councillor grant, but as not heard anything and now urgent approached BPC who granted it.
  • Idea of a village notice board by station instead of hanging notices on fence for all the village possibly provided by BPC or Network Rail.
  • New shed at Clift Meadow has been daubed in red paint by vandals.
  • Issue with vandalism around the car park and Meadow area. Problem with graffiti as well. Police aware.
  • New wish list to be drawn up.
  • List of events for 2017 to be published as soon as possible.



No written report.



Beat Report October 2016 – Bramley and Sherfield (BL02)


Burglaries – Burglaries are a Local Beat Priority across the whole of Basingstoke. 0 reported burglaries reported over this month. Fantastic news! Please ensure that your doors and windows are locked when you are leaving your property unattended. If you think “how secure is my home?” and “have I done as much as reasonably possible to ensure I have kept my property safe?” on a regular basis and act on anything you pick up then naturally you will lower your risk of being a victim.

Please mark your valuables in some way with your post code or take a picture of them and any distinguishing marks just in case they are recovered by Police, then we will be able to return them to you.


Anti-Social Behaviour – There have been 6 reports of ASB this month. That is significant decrease in reported incidents over the last month, and this report also includes Halloween.

I have reports of youths using catapults in and around Bramley. There does not appear to be anywhere specifically targeted however, occurrences seem to gravitate around the areas with close access to the cinder track. If you see any youths with catapults in Bramley please call us on 101 so I am aware of where it is going on. If we get no reports, I do not see a problem and therefore cannot try and fix said problem.

If you suffer from ASB and you are a tenant of social housing then you will need to report these incidents to your housing officer before you contact Police. If the offender is also in social housing accommodation then your housing association will have more powers to tackle it than we do. If your housing officer believes Police intervention will help then they will contact us.

I would like to encourage all residents to report any incidents of anti-social behaviour to us on 101, or if you are a resident of social housing and your issues are with a neighbour also living in social housing accommodation, please report any incidents to your local housing officer, if the problem then persists then your Housing Officer will contact me. Please do report ASB because if it doesn’t get reported then I will not know that it’s happening and therefore I will not be able to focus my patrol time efficiently.


Assault – There has been a significant increase in assault reports this month, nothing with these have caused me any reason for concern. Most of these assaults have stemmed from the same incident and were recorded for crime data integrity reasons. This means that if we are called to an assault and someone is named as a suspect, naturally we will speak to the suspect. If when we talk to this suspect they counter claim that they have been the victim of assault instead then two assaults will be recorded even if we will not act on one of the allegations. Likewise, if one person assaults two people, this is not one crime, two occurrences will be created to reflect the two (or more) victims.


Suspicious Incidents – There have also been 7 suspicious vehicle/ person reports.

One of these incidents was in fact created by me due to something I noticed and dealt with while on duty. I am sure that there are more suspicious incidents happening within the village than what are actually getting reported to us. If you notice something then please report it. Don’t leave it for someone else to do. Even if it means more than one person reports the same incident we have an option to link incidents as “Same Event” which doesn’t have any effect on the stats. I am also a strong believer in trusting your instincts. If you see something that doesn’t add up then it won’t hurt to report it. Best case scenario is there is nothing to worry about and there is a legitimate reason for that to be happening at that time. Worst case scenario is there is no legitimate reason but we are not made aware of it then a while later, we receive a report from a victim of crime that could have been prevented.

Just because something gets reported as suspicious it doesn’t mean anything bad is actually happening or likely to happen, it’s just something that seems odd for the area, we would rather receive the call and it turn out to be nothing to worry about than not receive a call and it turn out to be something serious.

If you see anything you consider being suspicious please call us on 101 to report it. If there are any units free at the time of the call, they will attend. I am impressed of the detail people giving to us. The majority of the suspicious vehicles that have been called in to us have been with a full registration! It helps us out a lot when we have this line of enquiry as we can normally locate the owner and ask them what they were doing.


Monthly Crime Stats

ASB – 6                                                           Assault – 15                                        Burglary Dwelling – 0

Burglary non-Dwelling – 0                      Concern for Welfare – 1                Criminal Damage – 5

Driving Complaint – 2                               Drink Driving – 0                               Drug offences – 0

Harassment – 1                                          Public Order offences – 1              Road Traffic Collision – 3

Suspicious Incidents – 7                          Theft of Pedal Cycle – 1                  Theft – 1


Emergency – As always, please can I ask all residents to report any suspicious persons, vehicles or incidents using the 101 telephone number; please only ring 999 if it is a genuine emergency. An easy guide on which number to use is this:


Is the incident in progress and is there a risk of injury or damage to property? – 999

Has the incident already happened and there is no longer any risk? – 101

Anything else we need to know about? – 101



  • Issues –None reported
  • Bullsdown Path Project – Project complete and delivered.
  • Actions – Next project for 2017?



Progress – Flash report from HCC circulated with briefing note.

Actions –

  • Completion of topographical survey on footpath;
  • Submission of C3/C4 notices in relation to utilities;
  • Geotechnical Site Investigation to begin;
  • Detailed design and preparation of drawings to start;
  • Confirmation of land boundaries;
  • Street lighting design to be commissioned following confirmation of land ownership;
  • Negotiations to be instigated regarding land.
  • Meeting with Network Rail
  • Resident engagement

Notes – Detailed design to be available 20/01/2017 (to change due to Delivery requirements) – This date is likely to change due to delayed meeting with Network Rail and contract negotiations between the Parish Council and County Council consultants.



Network Rail – level crossing exploratory meetings

  • Minutes from meeting with HCC, BDBC, Network Rail, County Councillor, Borough Councillor and Parish Council representatives.


Transport survey work

  • Communication Plan options –
  • Carry out an air quality management survey around level crossing
  • Community engagement day? – Costs from consultant to support £500
  • Vehicle Management signs – examples details shared with councilors.



No report received.



No report received.

Appendix C – Finance


Bank Reconciliation

16th November 2016

Closing Balance from statement #041 1st November 2016





19 Oct 16


 Hall hire – EGM


19 Oct 16


 Hall hire – September meeting


19 Oct 16


 Budgeting workshop


19 Oct 16


 Water charges for allotments


19 Oct 16


 Bullsdown path resurfacing


19 Oct 16


 Churchyard Maintenance


19 Oct 16


 Donation for Poppy Wreath


16 Nov 16


 Litter Warden’s salary


16 Nov 16


 Clerk’s salary


16 Nov 16


 HALC – councillor training fees


16 Nov 16


 Bramley Village Hall – hall hire NDP meeting


16 Nov 16


 Bramley Village Hall – hall hire October


16 Nov 16


 LvW Highways Ltd – Traffic study fees


16 Nov 16


 Greehhouse Graphics – Newsletter print run


16 Nov 16


 Greehhouse Graphics – Newsletter print run


16 Nov 16


 Bulpitt Brothers – churchyard maintenance


16 Nov 16


 Bulpitt Brothers – grass cutting at Bramley Green


16 Nov 16


 Bulpitt Brothers – culvert clearance at Cinder Track


16 Nov 16


 Wellers Hedleys – fees for Bullsdown path



 Balance including uncleared cheques