Minutes 18th April 2011

Minutes of Bramley Parish Council

held in the Village Hall on 18th April 2011, at 7.30pm.

Parish Councillors present were:

Richard Wood, John Ferguson, Chris Holland, Philip McCorry, Claire Penfold, Janice Spalding, Allan Douglas, Hugh Tottenham

Also present were:

The Clerk, Borough Cllr. Rhydian Vaughan, Borough Cllr. Ranil Jayawardena, 15 members of the public

ITEM          COMMENT                                                                                                    ACTION

1.0             Apologies

County Cllr. Keith Chapman, Cllr. Hopkins, WPC Mandy Jewell

2.0 Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes of the meeting on 21st March 2011 having been circulated were agreed as a true record. Proposed Cllr. Ferguson, seconded Cllr. Spalding.

3.0 Matters arising and not appearing elsewhere on the agenda

None

4.0 Finance

It was noted that the ‘cheques for approval’ were being presented on a new-style spreadsheet so that the Cllrs could see each month’s expenditure against budget and cumulative spend.

No comments on new style.

Accounts for Payment

Approved, proposed Cllr. Ferguson, seconded Cllr. Penfold

Reconciled Balance of accounts as of 30th March 2011
Current Account

£2,002.19

Business account

£9,399.57

National Savings Account

£16,032.81

Total

£27,434.57

Plus receipts

£0.00

Less Cheques Outstanding

1411

£747.93

1412

£125.00

1415

£231.00

£1,103.93

Income Received since last meeting but not appearing on statement yet
Interment

£290.00

Interment

£145.00

£435.00

True balance as at 30th March 2011

£26,765.64

Cheques for approval

1416

R Gregory

£222.75

1417

J Snow – litter warden salary

£239.10

1418

S Smart – Clerk Salary and expenses*

£793.59

*Includes norton anti-virus protection update for 1 year

£1,255.44

5.0 Planning

No comments.

6.0             Police Report

No representatives present on this occasion although the Chairman read extracts from the report supplied by Mandy Jewell.

Beat Officer’s Report

The recent meeting of the Beat Panel has agreed that speed enforcement should continue to be the main priority for the area.  I am still waiting for my training in order to carry out my own speed enforcement; enquiries are in hand in relation to Community Speed Watch.  Due to current workloads no enforcement was carried out in March.

The other priorities for this quarter are: Fly tipping:  there continues to be a problem in this area.  On receipt of any reports the police will liaise with the relevant dept. at the council to see what action is to be taken.

Crime prevention in relation to non dwelling burglaries:  Due to the number of incidents over the last three years, we are going to send out a survey to the victims, enquiring about the service they received and subsequent crime prevention measures that they have implemented.  From the results we will look to see if anything can be put in place to prevent any further increase in the number of incidents. Crimes and incidents for March: There were 80 incidents reported this month; 23 were crimes, including 4 non dwelling burglaries and 5 lots of criminal damage; there were 4 incidents of anti social behaviour.

Compared to other Basingstoke rural beats we had the second highest number of reported incidents, with Tadley having 137.  We had the second highest number of crimes, again after Tadley, however Kingsclere and Whitchurch had a similar number of crimes. Incidents of ASB ranged from 2 in the Candovers to 11 in Whitchurch, to 21 in Tadley.

Borough Councillor Report

Cllr. Vaughan reminded the Council and public that there would be Borough Council elections on 5th May. Cllr. Wood asked what information was available as he had not received anything in the post with details of the election and candidates. It was explained that there would be leaflets available soon and also that information was available on the Borough Council website.

Public Comments

See appendix

7.0             Transport and Highways

Cllr. McCorry explained he had requested that the volume on the chime at the railway station be reduced so as not to be a nuisance to residents nearby including those in Pheabens Field.

He also updated the Council on the proposition for a footbridge over the railway and explained that the Borough Council are still working with him and other authorities on this matter. It was noted that National Rail had no interest in this project and were not willing to participate, so it would be down to the local authority to provide a footbridge. They would however have to work with National Rail as they own both the track, and the ‘airspace’ above the track.

Borough Cllr. Jayawardena reported that the Borough Transport Planners had come back with a parking scheme, and that residents were still being consulted about the latest proposal for parking measures for Coopers Lane. Again it was noted that there was no point yellow-lining one road, only to push the problem down to the next road and create cases of illegal parking elsewhere. He explained that the latest copy of the map detailing the proposal would be emailed to the Parish Council.                                                                                                                                  RJ

Cllr. Wood reported on some planned works to install a new culvert alleviation scheme in the area of Browns Close/Bromelia Close. Cllr. Vaughan explained that there had been problems with flooding in the area in around 2007, with some houses badly flooded. There would be diversions in this area while utility works and the installation of the culvert were being carried out. Cllr. Wood explained that the Clerk had written to request that the road closures/diversions be carried out during the school summer holidays if at all possible, as this road was very busy during term time. Cllr. Jayawardena commented that he had also made this point, but was not sure that it would be possible for this request to be accommodated during the planned works. More information would be put on the Parish Council website and the google group to alert people of any closures or  diversions as we were made aware of them.                                                                                                     RJ Clerk.

8.0             Environmental Matters

Cllr. Penfold gave a further update about the attempts to secure a site for further allotments. Discussions about the land near Bullsdown Farm are ongoing. She had also spoken with Saville’s agents regarding the Land at Tudor Farm, which was now just the land for sale and no longer including the property, and the land may be available in smaller parcels. There are 23 acres on the whole, and there may be an opportunity to purchase 3-4 acres, and Cllr. Penfold was looking into the costs associated with that. She was looking into whether the funding for the purchase could come from S106 money. The agent’s believe that the landowners may be willing to consider an offer, but surveys would have to be done to ensure that land was suitable for allotment gardens. If it appeared to be viable an offer could be made on a specific area/plot of land. Things like car parking, access, drainage etc would still need to be considered and funded. Cllr. Penfold explained that she and the Clerk had attended a course about allotment management where there was a lot of good information about setting up and managing allotments.             CP

Cllr. Wood explained that a new anti-litter campaign was being launched by the Borough Council, working in partnership with three parishes initially. The Clerk had registered an interest in joining the scheme when it is opened up more widely, and we were on the ‘reserve’ list.                                                                                    Clerk

Cllr. Wood also mentioned that the litter problem in some areas of Bramley had become a lot worse recently, with increased footfall around Longbridge Road and the Cinder Track as well as in the German Road/Yew Tree Close areas. He explained that the Parish Council had met with the Borough Council last December requesting additional funding to increase the hours worked by the litter warden, so that he could cover more area, but despite several emails and attempts to make contact, we had yet to hear whether there was any kind of grant for this coming year, let alone an increase. Borough Cllr. Vaughan agreed to speak with the contact at the Civic Offices and attempt                                                                                                                                                                                                Clerk

to get a response on the matters raised at that meeting.                                                                                          RV

 

9.0 Parish Plan Update

 

Cllr. Penfold explained that there had been a resignation on the committee which was disappointing, and that they were now looking for another secretary to work with them. She explained that at the next meeting, they would be putting together the content of the questionnaire and going through every question. She explained that Basingstoke and Deane were supporting the exercise using a SNAP tool to capture information. She explained that this support was free but that there may be some small costs to come, such as postage, or reports.

10.0 Representative Reports

Cllr. Tottenham reported that he had completed the application for a grant which the Clift Trustees would use to restore the car park. The application had been submitted but they were awaiting confirmation that it had been received and was to be considered. Cllr. Vaughan agreed to check how this was coming along.                     RV

11.0 Correspondence/Consultations

Nothing to report

12.0 Items for next meeting

Cllr. Wood explained that the Council were going to formalise the special duties register, and set up some new Committees for: Finance, Planning, Highways and Transport , and that he would be looking for volunteers from the Council to take on these roles.

Cllr. Holland requested that he be able to present to the Council a proposal to invest in further railings on front of the school to make the area safer, following a meeting with WPC Mandy Jewell, the Headteacher at Bramley Primary School, and himself on behalf of the Council.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.00pm.

Appendix. Public comments

There was a higher attendance from the public at this month’s meeting, which followed the Annual Parish Meeting.

Most members of the public who attended wished to express their views to the Parish Council about the increase in the precept. The following people joined a discussion on this matter: Tony from Cufaude Lane, Gareth from Kirby Drive, Judith Foyle, Ray Morton.

Comments and questions from the public, during a discussion which was too lengthy to fully minute, included:

 

  • The Council should not have increased the Precept so much in one go.

 

 

  • That the Council do not yet know what grants the Village Hall and the Clift Trustees will be asking for.

 

 

  • Why did the Council not make stepped increases over previous years?

 

 

  • People had been told there was to be no increase in Council Tax, but due to the increased Precept, it had gone up by 2% in Bramley.

 

 

  • That the Parish Council should revise its budget.

 

 

  • That the Borough Council had sent out a 25 page leaflet with the Council Tax Bill but there was not enough information available about the Parish Council’s Precept.

 

 

  • As it was too late to reduce the figure for this year, will the Precept figure for next year revert back?

Some handouts were given to those who attended, and have also been put on the notice boards, explaining why the Parish Council felt it was necessary to increase the Precept. Cllr. Spalding gave a more detailed account of the figures, and a copy of the budget was also available as a hand-out. Questions were noted by the Chairman and some explanation was given, reiterating the information available as hand-outs and also on the website. Cllr. Tottenham explained that there was no ‘them-and-us’ situation and that the council members were all a part of the same community and had its interests at heart. A comment was made from the public accepting that it was easy to criticise but if they wanted things to be different they should attend more meetings to make their opinions known, or stand to be on the council. It was commented that although there was some opposition, complaints received by the Council represented only 0.5% of the Bramley Electorate, and while the Chairman was happy to listen to what was being said, after extending the usual 10 minute interval the Chairman moved back to the Agenda.

5.0             Planning Applications

BRAMLEY PARISH COUNCIL
Reference

Planning

Application

LOCATION

recommendation

BDB/73941

Householder Erection of a single storey extension to east elevation Peregrine House, Sherfield Road, Bramley Green, Tadley, RG26 5AJ No Objection

BDB/74088

Householder Construction of additional first floor living accommodation involving raising of the roof and installation of windows in the front and rear elevations Springfield Cottage, The Street, Bramley, Tadley, RG26 5BS With planning team

BDB/74172

Householder Erection of a single storey extension to east elevation Beaurepaire Park Stud, Beaurepaire Park, Bramley, Tadley, RG25 5EH With planning team

bdb/74170

Householder Erection of a part two storey, part single storey rear extension Cyprus, The Street, Bramley, Tadley, RG26 5DD With planning team

bdb/74110

Householder Installation of rear roof light and conversion of loft to office 11, Tudor Close, Bramley, RG26 5DB With planning team
BASINGSTOKE & DEANE BOROUGH COUNCIL

Reference

Planning Application LOCATION recommendation

BDB/74002

FULL Erection of 1 detached 4 bedroom dwelling Tudor Farm, Silchester Road, Bramley, RG26 5DG Not yet been decided

BDB/73847

Householder Erection of single storey rear extension Sheila’s Cottage, Bramley Corner, Bramley, RG26 5DJ Not yet been decided
BDB/73834 Householder Erection of two storey side extension with 2 no. dormer windows and single storey rear extension with flue following demolition of existing garage 15 Longbridge Road, Bramley, Tadley, RG26 5AN Granted