Minutes 20th July 2016

Minutes of the Meeting of the Council

Date: Wednesday 20th July 2016 Time: 7.30pm
Place: Bramley Room, Bramley Village Hall
Present: Cllr Durrant (Chair) Cllr Bell (Vice Chair)
Cllr Ansell Cllr Capel
Cllr Flooks Cllr Marshall
Cllr DiMascio
In Attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 4 members of the public
  Cllr Robinson (Borough)
Apologies: Cllr Tomblin Cllr Lane
  Cllr Rowland (Borough) Cllr Keith Chapman (County)
  PCSO Johnson



1 Apologies for Absence

As listed above.

2 Declarations of Interest


3. Co-option of Councillor

Following the recent local elections, a space for one councillor was left on the Council.  Cllr Durrant proposed Fausta DiMascio be co-opted to fill this space.  This was seconded by Cllr Flooks and unanimously agreed.  Cllr DiMascio took her place on the Parish Council.

4 Minutes of the Last Parish Council Meeting


The minutes of the meetings held on 14th June 2016 were unanimously agreed to be a true and accurate record.  The minutes were signed by the Chairman.




Matters arising




5 Open Forum


The Chairman invited questions and comments from those present.



6 Planning & Development


New Applications

16/01418/LBC – The Cottage Vyne Road Bramley

Replacement of rear windows and doors

No objections unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process

16/01822/HSE – Ringshall The Street Bramley

Erection of two storey side extension, single storey rear extension and single storey side and front extensions

Cllr Durrant noted that this was a revision to a previous application that was refused.  Cllrs noted that the proposed extension is still very large for the available plot.  Also very close to property next door.  Objections on these grounds unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.


16/02360/HSE – 22 Longbridge Road Bramley

Erection of side/rear conservatory

No objections unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.

16/00697/FUL – Land At Beech Farm Lane End Bramley Hampshire – AMENDED

Erection of 15 no. dwellings, together with the widening of the existing access onto Lane End and provision of an area of public open space with associated landscaping

Access has been changed so that pond is untouched.  Otherwise, all previous objections stand.  Clerk to process, and ensure that an item on social and affordable housing is included.






















7 Parish Environment


Traveller Update –   the travellers have now moved on from Bramley Green Road, and had moved to the car park at Campbell Court.  They were served with notice to quit by Monday 11th July.

Two issues have been highlighted.

  • Bramley Green Road service area – councillors suggested that drop down bollards or dragons teeth be placed to prevent parking access in this area – access would still be available to pedestrians and bicycles.  Unanimously agreed that this was worth pursuing.  Clerk to investigate.
  • Open area in Yew Tree close – a number of trees have come down that used to provide a level of protection from travellers.  Residents are keen to see replacement trees planted.  Unanimously agreed to pursue further.













Bullsdown Site – Village Green Status – no further progress.  Also no further news on the green area at Longbridge Road.


8 Clerk’s Report & Administration


PC meeting in August – it has been suggested that a brief PC meeting in August would be useful, particularly bearing in mind that the next scheduled meeting is not until 21stSeptember.  The Clerk suggested that Wednesday 17th August might work.  Cllr Durrant proposed the motion, Cllr Bell seconded, unanimously agreed.  Clerk to book room.






PC newsletter – the Clerk has distributed ideas for articles for the PC newsletter, and requested volunteers to write for it.  To be included on August agenda.



9 Reports


Reports from Parish Council representatives


Allotments & Burial Ground Update – see appendix B.

Cllr Ansell confirmed that the final allotment has now been leased.



Neighbourhood Development Plan – see appendix B.

i.            Update on BDBC consultation – Cllr Bell confirmed that the NDP has now been submitted to BDBC, who have put it out for a six week public consultation.  This is due to close on 5th September, after which time the NDP will move on to the next stage.  The Plan passed regulatory compliance with no problems.  Cllr Bell formally thanked Chris Wright for his assistance in ensuring that all necessary notifications went out via email and social media.  An external examiner has been suggested, and two more CVs for examiners have been requested.  Cllr Bell to investigate a possible open day for the NDP in August.









Cllr Bell


Village Hall Trust – see appendix B.  Phil Lewis gave a verbal update.

  • The VHT is looking for new Trustees – they only have five at present.
  • The VHT deed is being updated.
  • LIF funding will be paying for Community Services manager – contracts are awaited.
  • The recent film night was successful – however, the event makes a loss, so is under review.
  • The path at the Village Hall has now been cut back, and they have engaged a regular contractor for ongoing maintenance.
  • Mistletoe Far is going ahead later in the year, and a planned art exhibition is going ahead.  An event based on Alice in Wonderland is planned in February for children of the village.



Clift Meadow Trust – see appendix B.

The Clerk noted that the CMT are chasing the builders about shutter problems at Brocas Hall, but have not received a reply to date.

Cllr Capel gave a verbal report.

  • AGM Brocas Hall 7.30pm Wednesday 27th July 2016
  • Debbie Pringle attended with a view to helping with the marketing and website
  • Facebook page now very popular… main contact with the community
  • Youth Club doing well… about 35 members and 8 volunteers
  • Quotes being obtained to sort out drainage work
  • Main shutter on Pavilion now fixed
  • Still big issues with non-patrons using car park and patrons not being able to use it



Education & Schools – see appendix B.

Cllr Capel has made contact with the school, but had no reply to date.



Policing & Neighbourhood Watch – see appendix B.

Cllr Capel noted that the recent European football tournament caused ASB problems.  Also likely to see an increase in this over the summer.  Cllr Tomblin to feed back ASB issues in parish to BDBC in light of his recent letter about social & affordable housing.  Cllr Capel also noted issues over weekend with travellers – these are to be reported to PCSO.



Cllr Tomblin




Highways & Road Closures

  • Verges cutting in general in the parish is due to start in early August.  Highways have assured that urgent sightline issues will be dealt with straight away.  Highways have also confirmed that verges will only be cut once a year from now on.  The Clerk has requested a timetable for next year, to enable any urgent issues to be addressed by the Lengthsman straight away without needing to go through Highways.
  • Vegetation along pavement from Bramley Green Road to Campbell Road – this does not yet appear to have been done, despite being reported some time ago.  Clerk to chase.
  • The Clerk is still awaiting news on the plans for the Campbell Road roundabout.  She will continue to chase.













Road Safety proposals – see appendix B.

No update on LIF application.  Decision due in late July.  Network Rail are happy to investigate opening second entrance to platform from Cinder Track.

i.            Recent correspondence from Network Rail was noted, including their request to meet with the Parish Council to discuss future plans for the level crossing with regards to electrification of the line and possible closure of the level crossing.  It was agreed that Cllr Ansell would meet with Network Rail and report back to Council.  Cllr Ansell suggested hosting an open day in September with the results of the traffic survey, and the proposals from Network Rail.






Cllr Ansell


Borough Councillor Report – Cllr Robinson gave a verbal report.

  • Local Plan – this was instrumental in the Goddards Farm planning application rejection.  Cllr Robinson noted the difference between land availability and planned development, which could cause problems if there is a drop in demand for housing.
  • Application for houses on the Aldermaston Road triangle outside hospital has been given planning permission.
  • Devolution – Cllr Robinson noted the various bids being considered at present.
  • Cllr Robinson is now a permanent member on the Development Control Committee.



County Councillor Report – no report.


Chairmans Report – no report.  Cllr Durrant noted that action on the recognition plaque needed to be moved along.


10 Consultation Documents requiring consideration



11 Grant Applications

Bramley Village Hall Trust – further to the grant application at the last meeting, the Village Hall Trust have confirmed that they have received a County Councillor grant of £1000 towards maintenance of the flooring.  The Trust have also approached BDBC for s.106 funding, of which they may receive another £1000 – this require two further quotes, which are being obtained.  That means there will still be a shortfall of £2000, and it is likely that they will approach the Parish Council for this.


12 Finance


Payments and Reconciliation Approval – see appendix C.

The clerk outlined the payments and reconciliation for April.  She noted the following:

  • An invoice for printing of the NDP is now due
  • Legal fees for the Bullsdown footpath are due
  • An invoice for the traffic survey is due
  • The new shutter at the Pavilion has now been fitted, and the balance of payment is now due.
  • The payroll for August has already been run in anticipation of there being no meeting in August.  This therefore needs to be pre-agreed.
  • All other payments as expected.

It was unanimously agreed to approve the payments for July – Clerk to process.













Acknowledgement of Receipts – see Appendix C.

Receipts were noted.


Payroll & Pension arrangements – the Clerk noted the upcoming staging date for the Parish Council’s pension arrangements, and noted that a small working group should look at this issue over the summer.  She strongly recommended outsourcing the payroll at the same time.  Clerk to distribute details of possible pension schemes and payroll providers.





13 Date of Next Meeting

The next meetings will be held on Wednesday 17th August and Wednesday 21st September.


14 Resolution – To exclude press and public from items that may require discussion of possible legal and financial proceedings i.a.w Public Meetings – Admission to Public Meetings Act 1960


The meeting finished at 9.00pm




Signed:                 ………………………………………………………………….   Date:………………………………………             


Appendix A – Planning Summary


Planning Applications for Consideration

1. 16/01418/LBC – The Cottage Vyne Road Bramley

Replacement of rear windows and doors

2. 16/01822/HSE – Ringshall The Street Bramley

Erection of two storey side extension, single storey rear extension and single storey side and front extensions

3. 16/02360/HSE – 22 Longbridge Road Bramley

Erection of side/rear conservatory



1. 16/00265/OUT – Land At Goddards Farm Goddards Lane Sherfield-on-Loddon

Outline application with access to be considered for residential development of up to 95 dwellings (including 40% affordable) and demolition of garages to form a vehicular access point from Bow Drive and associated ancillary works; replacement garaging, planting and landscaping, informal open space, children’s play area and surface water attenuation




2. 16/01522/HSE – Brockweir Sherfield Road Bramley

Erection of part first floor, part two storey side extension

No objections Granted
3. 16/01435/HSE – 2 Pigeons Close Bramley

Erection of single storey side/rear extension

No objections



Pending Applications

1. 15/03423/FUL – Land Adjacent The Street Bramley

Erection of two no. 4 bedroom dwellings with detached garages and associated landscaping and access works

2. 15/03907/LBC & 15/03906/HSE – Bramley Corner House Bramley Corner Bramley

Conversion of outbuilding to annexe

No objections
3. 15/04506/FUL – Royal British Legion The Street Bramley

Erection of 10 no. dwellinghouses (4 no. 2 bed dwellings and 6 no. 4 bed dwellings) to include parking, access and amenity space, following demolition of existing private members’ club building

No objections, comments
4. 16/00117/HSE – 29 Taylor Drive Bramley Tadley

Erection of two storey rear extension

5. 16/00697/FUL – Land At Beech Farm Lane End Bramley

Erection of 15 no. dwellings, together with the widening of the existing access onto Lane End and provision of an area of public open space with associated landscaping

6. 16/01534/LBC & 16/01533/HSE – The Old Cottage The Street Bramley

Erection of an oak framed garden room and alterations

No objections
7. 16/01636/HSE – 14 Strawberry Fields Bramley

Erection of rear conservatory

No objections
8. 16/01770/HSE & 16/01771/LBC – Lime Tree Cottage Vyne Road Bramley

Refurbishment of existing barn adjoining Lime Tree Cottage for residential use as ancillary accommodation

9. 16/01724/FUL – Latchmere Green Barn Ash lane Little London

Change of use from restricted B8 storage, to general B8 storage; and use of existing workshop to separate B1C workshop (part retrospective)

No objections



Appendix B – Briefing Notes


Briefing Notes – July 2016



Total plots currently under lease agreement

  • X4 full plots
  • X15 half plots


Available plots

  • X1 ½ half plot


Waiting list

The waiting list is currently at 6, will drop to 5 on lease of the remaining ½ plot.


Sub-contractor work –

None currently required



  • Plot 6b to be leased.



Memorial Ground expansion

We need to engage with the Landscape Designer to understand the next steps. Aim is to apply within the October 2016 Deadline LIF for funding to support any memorial garden project. – TBC



No written report.



No written report.



No written report.



Burglaries – Burglaries are a Local Beat Priority across the whole of Basingstoke. 4 reported burglaries reported over this month. All 4 being shed burglaries.

Even though the below advice has been on every beat report for two years I will still promote this advice due to Burglaries being a beat priority set by the local community and I still visit addresses where the owner has not completed any of the following advice.


Please consider this advice:

Shed/ Outbuilding:

Multiple (different types) locks on your shed doors. – Most locks require different tools to remove

Place net curtains in the windows of your shed/ outbuilding.

Ensure you have all valuable garden equipment serial numbers stored somewhere safe.

Consider placing a ground anchor lock within your shed/ outbuilding and secure valuable equipment to that with a heavy duty lock.

Consider moving your high value items into your house.

Take pictures of your valuables so if they are stolen and recovered it is easier to find out who the owner is.

Use a UV pen to write your postcode on any equipment so it’s easier to identify the owner.

Register your property for free on www.immobilize.com


Check your insurance documents for any specific security requirements or upgrades.

Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.

Ensure rear fencing is in good repair.

Lock all windows and doors, remembering to double lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn key)

Keep all keys out of reach and sight from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through letterbox).

Do not leave ladders and garden tools in your garden, lock them away in your shed.

Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges.

Consider fitting security lighting and a burglar alarm.

Mark your property with postcode and house number and register your property for free with www.immobilise.com

Make use of timer switches to make the property appear occupied.

Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.

Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.

Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe or bank vault.


Anti Social Behaviour – There have been 13 reports of ASB this month. That is an increase of 9 reported incidents over the last month. Every report of ASB has not had any re-occurring pattern to it so I am hopeful there will be no repeat incidents.

If you suffer from ASB and you are a tenant of social housing then you will need to report these incidents to your housing officer before you contact Police. If the offender is also in social housing accommodation then your housing association will have more powers to tackle it than we do. If your housing officer believes Police intervention will help then they will contact us.

I would like to encourage all residents to report any incidents of anti social behaviour to us on 101, or if you are a resident of social housing and your issues are with a neighbour also living in social housing accommodation, please report any incidents to your local housing officer, if the problem then persists then your Housing Officer will contact me. Please do report ASB because if it doesn’t get reported then I will not know that it’s happening and therefore I will not be able to focus my patrol time efficiently.


Suspicious Incidents – There have also been 4 suspicious vehicle/ person reports. There is nothing to concern me about the increase in these reports. Just because something gets reported as suspicious it doesn’t mean anything bad is actually happening or likely to happen, it’s just something that seems odd for the area, we would rather receive the call and it turn out to be nothing to worry about than not receive a call and it turn out to be something serious.

If you see anything you consider being suspicious please call us on 101 to report it. If there are any units free at the time of the call, they will attend. I am impressed of the detail people giving to us. The majority of the suspicious vehicles that have been called in to us have been with a full registration! It helps us out a lot when we have this line of enquiry as we can normally locate the owner and ask them what they were doing.


Theft from Vehicle – The theft of vehicle relates to an attempted theft in Bramley, the offenders did not manage to get away with the vehicle concerned.


Monthly Crime Stats


ASB – 13                                                               Assault – 2                                          Burglary Dwelling – 0

Burglary non-Dwelling – 4                            Criminal Damage – 3                       Concern for welfare – 1

Domestic Incidents – 1                                  Driving Complaint – 3                     Drug offences – 0

Public Order offences – 3                             Suspicious Incidents – 4                                Theft – 2

Theft from Vehicle – 1                                    Theft of Vehicle – 1



Emergency. As always, please can I ask all residents to report any suspicious persons, vehicles or incidents using the 101 telephone number; please only ring 999 if it is a genuine emergency. An easy guide on which number to use is this:


Is the incident in progress and is there a risk of injury or damage to property? – 999

Has the incident already happened and there is no longer any risk? – 101

Anything else we need to know about? – 101



o   Additional work packages have been passed to the Parish Clerk for the Lengthsman scheme.

o   Bullsdown Path, between Campbell Road and Bramley Green Road.

•        The project aim was to commence this work Summer 2016 when the local material becomes available from the quarry.

•        BDBC have requested a program breakdown to be included in the legal documentation.

•        To date I have been unable to contact the contractor selected.


  • ·         Contact ‘Bullsdown’ contractor to establish a commencement date and project details for discussion.
  • ·         Update the 2010 Bramley Walks leaflet to present to the council. – TBC (HCC offer leaflet services and also a ‘mapboard’ service
  • ·         Obtain printing costs for an updated ‘Bramley Walks’ leaflet – TBC



The LIF application was submitted by the deadline date, a total of £236,129 was applied for.

BDBC have indicated a decision date within July for applications on this round.

–          Since meeting with Network Rail they have submitted a letter to the Parish Council, shared with councilors early July.

–          Network Rail have also indicated –

o   Licence condition 7 consultation – 3 months (Internal NR process to ensure that the land is available to be utilised and that no departments have any plans/requirements for it)

o   Clearance – business, then technical – 6 weeks  (Internal NR process to ensure that the land is available to be utilised and that no departments have any plans/requirements for it)

o   Deed of dedication – to be provided by local authority

o   NR Property will need to deal with the Licence Condition Seven and deed of dedication

o   Legal fees – NR’s solicitor’s costs likely to be around £2,500. Given that this is a safety scheme and in the interest of both parties, I would advise that both sides pay their own legal fees, instead of NR asking the council to pay both e.g.

o   In order to progress the above, We will need to supply clear plans showing the exact land you require from NR, and assurance that the above meets your expectations and requirements.

–          The Parish council need to agree on the response to the letter and points above.



No written report.



Appendix C – Finance


Bank Reconciliation

20th July 2016

Closing Balance from statement #036 1st July 2016





19 Jul 16

000063 Watts/Berry/Delve/Kitchen – Allotment rent




18 May 16


 LvW Highways Ltd – traffic survey work


14 Jun 16


 HMRC – Tax & Nics contributions – Q1


14 Jun 16


 Bramley Village Hall – Hall hire


14 Jun 16


 Rocon Contractors Ltd – Storage shed at Clift Meadow


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – Clerk’s salary July


20 Jul 16


 Mrs J Shore – Litter Warden salary July


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – travel expenses


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – phone expenses


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – AVG aniti virus renewal


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – stationery and stamps


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – printer cartridges


20 Jul 16


 Bramley Village Hall – hall hire for June extra meeting


20 Jul 16


 Bramley Village Hall – Hall Hire June


20 Jul 16


 Greehhouse Graphics – NDP printing


20 Jul 16


 Wellers Hedleys – legal fees – Bullsdown footpath


20 Jul 16


 Bulpitt Brothers – grass cutting at Bramley Green


20 Jul 16


 Bulpitt Brothers – Burial Ground maintenance


20 Jul 16


 Tracis Traffic Data Ltd – traffic survey fees


20 Jul 16


 GHL Engineering – new shutter at Pavilion


20 Jul 16


 Mrs M J Thomas – Clerk’s salary August


20 Jul 16


 Mrs J Shore – Litter Warden salary August



 Balance including uncleared cheques