Parish Council meeting minutes – 16th February 2021



Minutes of the Meeting of the Council

Date: Tuesday 16th February 2021 Time:                                    7.00pm
Place: Online
Present: Cllr Tony Durrant (Chair) Cllr Chris Tomblin
  Cllr Alan Munday Cllr Keith Oborn
  Cllr Chris Flooks Cllr Iain James
  Cllr Malcolm Bell Cllr Liz Capel
In attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 5 members of the public
  Cllr Nick Robinson (Borough) Cllr Chris Tomblin (Borough)
  Cllr Vaughan (County)
Apologies: Cllr Bruce Ansell


1 Apologies for Absence
As listed above.
2 Declarations of Interest
Cllr Tomblin declared an interest in planning matters, since he has a place on the BDBC Development Control Committee.  He took no part in the discussion or votes on planning applications.
3 Minutes of the Last Parish Council Meeting
3.1 The minutes of the meeting held on 19th January 2021 were unanimously agreed to be a true and accurate record of those meetings and were signed by the Chairman.  


3.2 Matters arising  
·         Bat boxes – Clerk has contacted BDBC and is awaiting a response.

·          Cllr James to write to allotment holders re children’s toys on the allotment.

4 Open Forum
Cllr Durrant invited comments and questions from the public.

·         None.


5 County Councillor Report

Covid-19 Surge testing – Cllr Durrant gave a brief update on the Covid surge testing being carried out this week.  The PC knows no more than what is on the HCC website.  There have been several media requests for PC comment – these have been declined.

Cllr Durrant noted that residents in Bramley View do not appear to be included in the surge testing, despite living adjacent to the area that will be tested.  Cllr Vaughan stated that Bramley View should be tested – he will look into this.  It is possible that it has not been included since it is newly built.

Cllr Robinson stated that surge testing begins on Wednesday 17th February at 9.30am.  The operation will be based out of Brocas Hall and the Clift Meadow car park.  The test is voluntary, and free.  The risk of transmission is considered to be very low.  Cllr Robinson has made HCC aware of the postcodes not on the list.

Cllr Vaughan echoed the low risk statement – the surge testing is precautionary only.

Cllr Oborn noted that one thing that has caused concern locally is that the local Drs surgery has not been included in the information loop from HCC.  Cllr Tomblin noted that some residents are concerned about testing when they are out working from early to late.  He also highlighted the issue of how non-internet households could be reached. Clerk to contact PCC to see if they are aware of any that need to be updated.


£26.9m Climate Change investment for Hampshire schools – An Investment of over £26M from Government climate change funding has been awarded to improve the energy efficiency of 370 Hampshire County Council schools and buildings.

£6.7 million will be spent on installation of solar panels and £20.2 million to improve insulation by replacing inefficient single glazed windows and doors with modern, double glazed units.

These programmes will save more than 3,600 tonnes of carbon per year and help local schools reduce their energy bills. County Council maintained primary, secondary, and special educational needs and disabilities schools will benefit from this programme. Not only will this investment make a significant contribution to climate change but will also boost skilled jobs locally in the low carbon and energy efficiency sectors.

The work is expected to commence this spring and be completed in the autumn of 2021.


Councillor grants – I have given financial help to the following organisations in Calleva Division for the financial year 20/21:


·         St James’s church Bramley – community hardship fund

·         Sherborne St John Chute Recreation ground

·         Sherborne St John – NHS & local care homes

·         Little Apples Bramley – school security

·         The Villager Magazine

·         Wootton St Lawrence – notice board

·         Hartley Wespall – church bell tower restoration

·         Sherfield on Loddon – Reindeer trail event (postponed until December 2021)

·         Basingstoke Neighbourcare – accompanied car transport

·         Stratfield Turgis – children play area refurbishment

·         Bramley Clift Meadow Trust- ground maintenance

·         Bramley CoE  Primary School – for Oliver’s Garden

·         Sherfield on Loddon – village hall kitchen extension

·         Sherborne St John – Union Flag

·         Silchester – Union Flag



Hampshire County Council: Reporting Issues on the Roads, Pavements and Verges

1.       Emergency Repairs:

If you see a highways issue which needs urgent attention

    • Phone 0300 555 1388 (8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)
    • Outside of office hours, phone 101


Emergency defects are usually made safe within two hours. These                 repairs may be temporary with permanent repairs being made                 later. Other defects become part of the maintenance programme                 and are usually repaired within two months. Larger or more                 complex works, such as major resurfacing, are generally                 scheduled           separately.

2.       Other less urgent highways issues can be reported online at the Hampshire County Council website ( search Road Maintenance).  You will get a reference number and a response from the Highways Team.

Please do contact me if you require any follow up on reported issues

3.       Operation Resilience – Operation Resilience is a long-term strategy to make Hampshire’s roads more resilient to the effect of extreme weather and heavy traffic.

Operation Resilience carries out Hampshire’s large, planned maintenance programme of work each year. These works are different to reactive works, such as pothole repairs or gully cleansing. You can find further information on forthcoming schemes on the following link:


Cufaude Lane Toad works – In response to the recent works, I draw your attention to the Natural Environment & Rural Communities Act 2006 (NERCA).  The Common Toad (Bufo Bufo) is considered ‘at risk’ and as such is a priority species in England.  Section 40 of the NERCA requires all Public Bodies to have a biodiversity duty when carrying out their functions.


Fire & Rescue Authority – Cllr Vaughan noted the excellent work being carried out at the Basingstoke Fire Station as a Covid-19 vaccination centre.  The Hampshire Fire Service is also providing support to ambulance services in Hampshire, and to hospital intensive care units.  This is all happening whilst maintaining their usual service.  Cllr Durrant noted the thanks of Bramley Parish Council.


Bramley to Sherfield foot/cycle path – a number of residents have again raised the idea of a formal foot/cycle path between Bramley and Sherfield, which Cllr Vaughan has raised with the HCC Executive Member for Economy Transport and Environment, Rob Humby.  He has responded, saying that there are a number of issues with supplying a roadside path – narrowing of the road, impact on hedgerows, road safety, suitable street lighting.  Extensive consultation with both parishes would need to be undertaken.  He has suggested that it may be worthwhile exploring with the Countryside Services team how the cross country routes could potentially be improved to be more attractive in winter conditions.  HCC will ensure that the link between Sherfield on Loddon and Bramley is audited during the forthcoming Basingstoke District Local cycling and walking infrastructure plan review.  Cllr Vaughan will also look further into the issue.




















6 Borough Councillor Report

Cllr Tomblin and Cllr Robinson gave a verbal report:

·         Cllr Tomblin confirmed that elections are scheduled for 6th May.  Steps are being taken to ensure safety for election staff and voters.

·         Cllr Tomblin outlined the latest on the Local Plan Update procedure.  It is being worked up in policy format at present, via the EPH Committee and Member Advisory Panels.  Housing, environment, and climate change issues have been worked on so far.  Next will be water related issues.  Site selection will not occur until after the local elections in May.  It is anticipated that there should be a draft plan ready by the end of 2021.

·         Cllr Tomblin noted the Bramley road closure program coming up, and that the diversions are somewhat challenging to publicize.

·         Cllr noted free online classes in Zumba, Yoga, and Pilates are being offered via the Basingstoke & Deane Leisure Trust – details can be found here: .

·         Cllr Robinson noted that the A33 will have a new 30mph speed limit from 1st March for 18 months while the Redlands development is built.

·         Cllr Robinson stated that a pre-application is in for 6 houses on land adjacent to Clift Surgery.  Cllr Robinson has sent Thames Water information to the planning officer for consideration.

·         Cllr Robinson has reminded Cllr Ken Rhatigen, the Leader of BDBC, of his promises to guard Bramley from new development.

7 Parish Environment  
7.1 Award of Burial Ground & Bramley Green maintenance contract

The Clerk has distributed details of the 7 bids for the maintenance contract (with details of the service levels and costings only).

After some discussion,  Cllr Durrant proposed accepting quote number 1.  This was seconded by Cllr Oborn, and unanimously agreed.  The contract was awarded to Roots Basingstoke for a period of 1 year, and will be reviewed in a year’s time.  Clerk to take forward.







7.2 Air quality monitoring update – Cllr Ansell has not yet been able to collate the necessary information.  To be prepared ready for the March meeting.  

Cllr Ansell

8 Clerk’s report & Administration  
 The Clerk noted that the Government has confirmed that local elections on 6th May are to go ahead as planned.  Bramley Parish Council are due for election this year, as well as all of Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council, the Calleva Ward for HCC, and the Police & Crime Commissioner election.  Preliminary details about nominations have been distributed to all Councillors.  The Clerk noted a Candidates and Agents briefing session, scheduled for 3rd March – this will be held via Zoom, and details will be distributed nearer the time.  
8.1 Parish magazine article – the next article will be for the February edition, to be written by Cllr Munday. Cllr Munday
9 Reports  
9.1 Reports from Parish Council representatives  
a. Planning Committee – see appendix A.

Cllr Flooks briefly summarised the January Planning Committee meeting.  Of particular note was the refusal of the QPS House application.  Cllr Tomblin noted that he has been speaking with enforcement officers, who will be speaking with the owner about their intentions for the property.

i.             Any further new applications

·         21/00349/FUL – Land At OS Ref 464762 159811 Minchens Lane

Installation of a battery storage facility with associated works

o   It was noted that there is no decision as yet as to whether and EIA is required.

o   This will be treated independently of the solar farm application by BDBC.

o   Cllr Durrant noted that in the planning statement much is made of renewable energy and Government policy regarding it.  These units only store power, they do not generate it.

o   Cllr Munday noted that the application definitely implies that power going into National Grid is renewable energy, rather than just stored energy from multiple sources.

o   To be considered at a later date.  Clerk to check deadlines for consultation.

ii.            Update on sewerage issues – the recent BBC item about Centenary Fields was noted.  Bramley PC have been invited to sit in on a meeting between Thames Water and Bewley.  Cllr Bell noted that Thames Water engineers will have a formal report on the feasible options by the end of February.  Thames Water have put in monitors near North Row to monitor whether surface water is getting into the sewage system.  Cllr Durrant stated that the PC will keep pressure up on all parties on behalf of existing and future residents.  Cllr Tomblin is investigating the discharge of the sewerage condition on the Centenary Fields application – the response is not satisfactory at present.  He will escalate as necessary.

iii.            Update on Solar Farm application – the Clerk has submitted the Parish Council response to this application.  She noted that there has been a great number of responses from residents, with the greater number objecting to the proposals.

iv.            Minchens Lane s.106 issues – new lighting proposals have been received just today.  Cllr Tomblin has spoken with enforcement officers – the discharge of conditions does not remove the obligation to satisfactorily finish the work.  Enforcement officers are planning to pick up on a large number of issues to do with the St James Park development.  Cllr Tomblin to take further.






























Cllr Tomblin








Cllr Tomblin

9.2 Allotments and Burial Ground

·         The allotment invoices for 2021 have now been sent out.

          9.3. Village Hall Trust – Cllr Oborn noted that the VHT were turned down for a renewable energy grant.  Other avenues are being explored.  
9.4. Clift Meadow Trust – Cllr Capel gave a brief verbal update.

·         Pathway by playground has now been widened, as well as the main path from the Pavilion to the pub.

·         Noted that big bins in CMT car park were very full, but have now been emptied.  Some rubbish left was by PC litter warden, who alerted BDBC to get them emptied.

i.            2021 requirements/proposed improvements – Cllr Durrant noted that this is not a formal grant request at this stage.  CMT will be looking for around £20k of investment.  Cllr Durrant pointed out that the PC will not be able to underwrite all of the investment required, and the CMT should also be exploring other avenues of funding.  It was also clarified that the PC cannot help give grants for running costs, only for capital projects.




9.5. Police & Neighbourhood Watch – the Clerk noted recent communication from the new Sergeant running the Basingstoke Rural Neighbourhood Team based out of Tadley Police Station, Sergeant Lisa Kempster.  There has been a recent shuffle of staff at Tadley police station, and they a looking to touch base with local parishes in the wake of this.  
            9.6 Highways/Footpaths

i.            Cinder Track and Nation Trail maintenance – the recent HCC communication about footpaths that run across land owned by Wellington Estates was noted.  The Clerk confirmed that the does not include the Cinder Track.  However, there have been recent complaints about the section of National Trail between Folly Lane and Mill Lane, which is commonly used by residents but is in a poor state of repair.  Cllr Durrant noted that national trails are covered by Natural England, who work with local authorities and landowners.  Clerk to take up with Natural England initially, and also HCC Countryside Services.  Clerk to take further.

ii.            Cinder Track – maintenance has fallen on the PC since other authorities are not doing it.  This cannot continue, since the PC does not have the budget for it.  Cllr Robinson to take up with BDBC.












Cllr Robinson

            9.7 Road Safety Project – the roadworks have ostensibly begun, although there does not appear to have been a great deal of work carried out thus far.  The Clerk has contacted HCC for an update on the status of the project and roadworks, and is awaiting a reply.  


            9.8 Chairman’s report – no report at this time.  Cllr Durrant noted that the local MP Ranil Jayawardena is having a public Zoom session on 26th February.  Details are on his website.  
10 Consultation documents requiring consideration  
11 Grant Applications  
11.1 Bramley Show – organisers of the show have been in touch requesting funding towards improving their website, and also an A3 printer and supplies to engage with residents who do not have ready access to the internet.  They have requested a grant of £500 to facilitate this.  It was agreed that more detail is required before a decision can be made.  Cllr Bell proposed giving a grant based off the request letter; however, it was pointed out that a formal grant request would be required.  Clerk to contact Show organisers.  






11.2 Bramley Youth Club – the co-ordinators of the Youth Club have supplied a report on the last two years of operation, and Ed Ives-Wara gave an  overview of how they would like to operate going forward.  Bramley Young Carers will no longer be the umbrella organisation as they feel it no longer falls within their purview.  With this in mind, a new youth organisation has been set up to take on youth clubs such as Bramley who would be affected by this.  RMD Adventure Learning already run the Bishops Green Youth Club and are also working in Thatcham, and are in negotiations about the Kingsclere Youth Club.

Moving forward, should funding from the Parish Council continue, then the existing leaders would continue with the Club.  They had achieved a good rapport with attendees ahead of the lockdowns, and have continued operations via Zoom as far as possible afterwards.  Arrangements and costs would be very similar to previous years, with the funding required for the Youth Workers standing at £10,030.

Cllr Durrant noted that as the service provider is technically a new supplier, then a formal grant request would need to be submitted, complete with supporting paperwork.  This will enable the PC to carry out due diligence on the application.  Councillors are inclined to look upon such a grant request favourably.  Clerk to take forward.



















12 Finance  
12.1 2021-2022 Budget – see appendix B.  Cllr Munday proposed accepting the 2021-22 budget.  Cllr James seconded, unanimously agreed.  Clerk to take forward.  


12.2 Payments and reconciliation approval – see appendix C

The Clerk noted the payments for February.

It was unanimously agreed to approve the February payments – Clerk to process.





13.2 Acknowledgement of Receipts – see appendix C

The receipts for February were noted.



14 Date of Next meeting  
The next Parish Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 16th March 2021, and will be online.  7.00pm start.  
15 Resolution to exclude press and public from items that may require discussion of possible legal and financial proceedings  
16 Confidential Items  

The meeting closed at 9.00pm



Signed:                 ………………………………………………………………….      Date: ………………………………………              



Appendix A – Planning Committee Minutes


Date: 9th February 2021 Time:                    7.30pm
Place: Online via Zoom
Present: Cllr Chris Flooks (Chair) Cllr Malcolm Bell
  Cllr Liz Capel Cllr Alan Munday
  Cllr Chris Tomblin
In attendance: Maxta Thomas (Clerk) 2 members of the public
Apologies: Cllr Nick Robinson (Borough)


1 Apologies for Absence
As listed above.
2 Declarations of Interest
Cllr Tomblin noted his position on the BDBC Development Control Committee, and took no part in votes on planning applications.
3 Minutes of the Last Planning Committee Meeting
3.1 The minutes of the Planning Committee meeting held on 12th January 2021 were unanimously agreed and signed off by the Chairman.  


3.2 Matters arising  
4 Planning & Development  
4.1 New Applications  
a. 21/00095/HSE – Grays House The Street Bramley

Installation of a 2kWp solar array consisting of 7 solar panels mounted on a ballasted flat roof mounting system (see also 21/00096/LBC for the same property)

·         No objection unanimously agreed.  Cllrs happy to be guided by conservation officer for listed building consent.  Clerk to process.






b. 21/00082/LDPO – 4 Keepsake Gardens Bramley

Certificate of lawfulness for the proposed erection of a single storey rear extension

·         No objection unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.





c. 21/00205/ROC – Bramley Village Hall The Street Bramley

Variation of conditions 1 and 5 of Planning Permission 20/01036/FUL to amend the plans numbers and drainage details

·         No objection unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.





d. Any other New Applications

·         21/00253/HSE – 5 Minerva Road Bramley

Erection of single storey pitched roof rear extension

o   No objection unanimously agreed.  Clerk to process.



·         The Old School Silchester Road Bramley

1 Oak: pollard: Leaving a finished height of 10m and a radius of 4m

o   No objection unanimously agreed – Cllrs happy to be guided by tree officer opinion.  Clerk to process.










4.2 Approvals/Refusals/Pending (see appendix A)

These were noted.  The refusal for QPS House was particularly noted.  Cllr Tomblin stated that the enforcement officer for this case has changed.  The new officer is due to contact the owners to find out the current status of work at the property.

5. Update on Solar Farm application (20/03403/FUL) and Battery Installation application (21/00078/ENSC)

No further update on either application.  The Clerk has submitted comments on both applications, objection to the Solar Farm and requesting a full EIA for the Battery Installation.  Borough Cllr representatives are planning to meet with Highways officers re the access to the site.  Cllr Munday noted that the archaeological response has noted the removal of 25cm of topsoil to lay the concrete slabs for the panels – this is contrary to what Enso stated before the application went in.

6. Water Issues  
6.1 Update on sewerage issues

i.            Thames Water contact – Further contact has been made with Thames Water following the recent issues at Centenary Fields.  Cllr Bell is in regular contact with both Thames Water and with residents at Centenary Fields.  Cllr Flooks is preparing a report with a timeline of events over the last few years.  Cllr Bell noted that areas in Sherfield also have issues, so the entire sewer system from Bramley down through Sherfield is inadequate.  Work with Thames Water is ongoing.

ii.            Bewley Contact re Centenary Fields – the MD of Bewley Homes has been in touch with the Parish Council after receiving multiple complaints about the sewerage and flooding at that site.  He is anxious to broker a meeting between Bewley, Thames Water, and residents, in an effort to get the issues resolved.  However, they are waiting on a Thames Water report at the end of February.  There has also been an item on BBC South Today highlighting the recent problems.  Bewley are also working on site to try and resolve their end of the issue.

6.2 Update on surface water issues

i.            Update on Bramley Brook issues – work has been carried out recently on clearing Bramley Brook, although it is unclear which agencies have been involved.  The Clerk has contacted BDBC for an update, and is awaiting a response.

7. Minchens Lane s.106 issues  
  The Clerk has received notice of an application to discharge condition 10 of 14/1457/FUL (Construction of 3m wide combined footpath-cycleway with associated low level lighting and landscaping, erection of 2 new bridges, resurfacing and extension of existing car park and creation of new pedestrian access) for Development Land at Minchens Lane.  This was accompanied by details of the proposed replacement lighting, and proposed plans for addressing the path flooding issue.  The Clerk and Chairman have both replied stating that the proposals for a swale to address the path issues are not acceptable, and that the developer and enforcement officers are well aware of this.  There has been no reply to date.  


8. Local Plan Update  
8.1 Local Green Space promotion – following Bramley PC’s response to the Issues & Options consultation, BDBC have requested which areas of green space in Bramley Parish the Council would like promoted.

Cllrs stated that they felt the rural agricultural aspect of the Parish needs to be protected, so any open green space around the Settlement Policy Boundary should be included.  It was noted that Bramley PC do not own such areas, which could be an issue.  Cllrs questioned whether Bramley Green and Clift Meadow should be included.  Cllr Bell to draft response on the protection of the rural aspect.








Cllr Bell

9. Date of Next Meeting  
The date of the next Planning Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 9th March 2021.


Meeting closed at 8.30pm




1. 20/00740/FUL – Qps House The Street Bramley

Conversion of ground floor from tanning salon (sui generis) and retail (A1) to 2 no. one bedroom flats and retail (A1)




2. 20/02751/LBC – Mill Cottage Vyne Road Bramley

Remove ground floor internal wall. External improvements including brickwork repairs, replacement patio door and repairs to paving

NB: This property is in a neighbouring Parish



No objection

3. 20/03092/HSE – 70 Moat Close Bramley

Erection of two storey side and single storey front and rear extension


No objection


Pending Applications*

1. 20/01008/FUL – Land At Locksbridge Farm Cufaude Lane

The erection of 1 no. dwelling and associated parking and access

2. 20/01954/FUL – Cedarwood Silchester Road Bramley

Erection of 1 no. single storey dwelling to provide accommodation for parents, associated landscaping and access following demolition of stable/home office

3. T/00503/20/TPO – 16 St James Close Bramley

Single mature Lime tree: prune

Defer to tree officer
4. T/00583/20/TPO – Middle Farm The Street Bramley

T1, T2, T3 – Western Red Cedars: prune.

Defer to tree officer
5. 20/03204/VLA – Land At Minchens Lane Bramley

Variation of Section 106 agreement attached to 14/01075/OUT to enable the transfer of the Equipped play area, northern kick about and southern kick about areas to the existing management company instead of the Parish Council

No comment as PC has interest in application
6. 20/03124/HSE – 103 Coopers Lane Bramley

Two ground floor pitched roofed extensions

No objection, comments
7. 20/03299/HSE – 28 Kirby Drive Bramley

Single storey front extension.

No objection
8. T/00642/20/TPO – Rear Of 14 St James Close Bramley

1 Lime: fell

No objection
9. 20/03403/FUL – Site At Minchens Lane Bramley

Installation of renewable led energy generating station, comprising ground-mounted photovoltaic solar arrays, battery-based electricity storage containers together with substation, inverter/ transformer stations, site accesses, internal access tracks, security measures, access gates, other ancillary infrastructure, landscaping biodiversity enhancements including a Forest School, associated car parking and Nature Area

10. 20/03485/VLA – Razors Farm Cufaude Lane Chineham

Variation of Section 106 agreement to modify the mortgagee in possession clause

No objection
11. 20/03494/HSE – 18 Oaklea Gardens Bramley

Proposed part conversion of existing garage into habitable space

No objection
12. 21/00078/ENSC – Land At OS Ref 464762 159811 Minchens Lane Bramley

Request for screening opinion for proposed battery storage development

EIA requested


*Objections/no objections listed are the decision of Bramley Parish Council only, and do not reflect any submissions placed by members of the public or other bodies with Basingstoke & Deane Borough Council.


Appendix B – 2021-2022 Budget

 The 2021-22 budget can be viewed here.


Appendix C – Finance

 The February 2021 finance can be viewed here.